Questions about further additions to terrain generation

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Nystul

Re: Questions about further additions to terrain generation

Post by Nystul »

BadLuckBurt wrote:Hi,
One thing I've been wondering about since no-one seems to mention it anywhere: what is the heightrange supposed to be? Playing with the vertical scale in L3DT, it appears to be somewhere between 4096 and 8192 meters, 6184 looks kinda nice but that's definitely not how it's rendered in Daggerfall itself.
this is a good question. From a practical point of view 4000 meters might be a good max value.
what I found out when I did tests with terrain and height map of vanilla daggerfall is that it uses exponential scale for heights (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10). But I would not go for this in daggerfall unity tbh.

Channel1

Post by Channel1 »

BadLuckBurt wrote:One thing I've been wondering about since no-one seems to mention it anywhere: what is the heightrange supposed to be? Playing with the vertical scale in L3DT, it appears to be somewhere between 4096 and 8192 meters, 6184 looks kinda nice but that's definitely not how it's rendered in Daggerfall itself.
If what you mean by "what it should be" is what vanilla Daggerfall is like, then about 100-150m. But no one wants that, so I would say whatever looks reasonable basically (I can't think of any numbers myself, but I would just go by Nystuls).

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Nystul wrote: this is a good question. From a practical point of view 4000 meters might be a good max value.
what I found out when I did tests with terrain and height map of vanilla daggerfall is that it uses exponential scale for heights (see this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=10). But I would not go for this in daggerfall unity tbh.
Ah yes, that thread is what got me curious, great read :) It would be a lot of work to create new map with more detail, it's a shame we don't have access to the source material. Something tells me there was more detail to the entire thing than they were able to implement.
Interkermit wrote:
If what you mean by "what it should be" is what vanilla Daggerfall is like, then about 100-150m. But no one wants that, so I would say whatever looks reasonable basically (I can't think of any numbers myself, but I would just go by Nystuls).
Yeah, same as with Morrowind (Red Mountain being no higher than 270 meters) and in Daggerfall it's even worse because of the scale being rendered. That's why I cranked up the vertical scale to 4096 in L3DT. I wonder what height the Wrothgarian Mountains should be in theory seeing that the land is actually true to scale compared to the later titles. Re-creating a map for Daggerfall would leave one with a lot of artistic freedom as long as you took the regions into account.

Not saying that you guys should do this btw, you have more than enough to do as it is. I'm just musing , I imagine when the engine is completed, it should be possible to plug in new terrain like Nystuls is already doing in a way.
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt