Item Conditions

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Hazelnut

Item Conditions

Post by Hazelnut »

I can't find anywhere that has a list of item conditions e.g. "New", "Almost New" etc.

Is there anything documented or does is anyone with such Daggerfall knowledge or saves with items at various conditions out there?

The most useful would be a savefile with items at all possible conditions that I could play with, but anything will do. I only have access to my level 2 character from 1996 and public savefiles which generally have super powered magic equipment all great condition.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Hazelnut

Re: Item Conditions

Post by Hazelnut »

Thanks to Allofich for providing these for me. Now implemented in DFU.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

Hey, Hazelnut!
Do you think it will it be possible to add new conditions in the future? I am specifically thinking about upgrades. That way, you could go beyond New to Fine, Superior, Exquisite, Flawless, etc. similar to Skyrim upgrade system, but I still want items to deteriorate with time.

I am just not sure if such implementation would be possible due to original system not being designed for that. Will we need to redesign it from scratch to achieve that in the future mods? Or is there a chance it might be more simple than I think?

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hmm, isn't that usually a separate quality rather than rolled into the condition?

So a superior sword can be almost broken but the basic construction is still superior.

Item condition is basically hit points for items. All my macro handler does is interpret the current hp verses max hp of the item and map it to a condition string. This is not really extendable for just a subset of item types without changing the DF system for something else.

However I would think it's definitely possible to add quality grades of items as a separate attribute of an item, that would be quite a mod though and doubt it could be an easy drop in file. (not sure, I've not got my head around mod support yet) I certainly wouldn't want to do it before 1.0 release though because the item stuff is going to change a lot between now and then as it's fleshed out and completed.

NikitaTheTanner

Post by NikitaTheTanner »

I was thinking of doing it similar to some of the Skyrim mods and the way they handled durability. It certainly can be two separate stats - durability and quality, for example, Steel Longsword +5 (Durability: 75%). That works.

But it can also be just one stat, where 100% Durability = New, 80% Durability = Almost New, 120% Durability = Fine, etc. This is similar to how Oblivion and Skyrim handled upgrades, though Oblivion didn't have specific names for item condition and Skyrim completely removed idea of item deterioration.

It just helps avoid situations of Flawless Damaged Swords, though that might not be a big deal with clever use of names. It also makes your upgrades not permanent, which could be a pro or a con for some people. I think there is some beauty to losing upgrade quality over time with degradation, but it also can be annoying for some people.

Perhaps it would be better to have two separate stats, perhaps not. Depends on which is easier to implement in the future, I guess, as I am partial to both systems. Wanted to know your opinion on it, as you are the one recreating the system in the first place :)