Bringing back Material in shield and helm name

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Feralwarlord

Bringing back Material in shield and helm name

Post by Feralwarlord »

As I'm sure some of you remember several builds ago helms and shields had their material in their name, I'd be interested in seeing this return anyone else feel the same way?

Nystul

Re: Bringing back Material in shield and helm name

Post by Nystul »

I would also like this, I would also like to have an option so that shields can have armor values higher than 4 (this was in earlier but patched by allofich to match vanilla df bahaviour. I never liked this in vanilla since it made shields pretty useless at higher lvls. an ini file option would be awesome)

ifkopifko

Post by ifkopifko »

I am with you on this. :) An ini option would be cool.

CM August

Post by CM August »

Was there any clear reason why they weren't labeled in the original game? I could understand capped armor values as a (questionable) balance choice, but what purpose did excluding the material name serve? None as far as I can tell - just a weird inconsistency that leaves the items in question feeling unfinished.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

Was there any clear reason why they weren't labeled in the original game?
Don't know. The only reasons I can think of are that for helms, it is because one type of helm, the gold one, isn't tinted by armor material, and with shields, the armor value doesn't change by material, although their other stats do. Maybe the material was left off to avoid feelings of inconsistency there or false bug reports?

I applied the classic message as part of an overall pass to put in the correct messages you get for different items when you click the info button.

Edit: I did a quick play with showing the material, but it results in the lowest level helms and shields being called "Leather Helm" and "Leather -- Shield," when they clearly look metal. Maybe this is why it's not used.
Last edited by R.D. on Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Feralwarlord

Post by Feralwarlord »

R.D. wrote:
Was there any clear reason why they weren't labeled in the original game?
Don't know. The only reasons I can think of are that for helms, it is because one type of helm, the gold one, isn't tinted by armor material, and with shields, the armor value doesn't change by material, although their other stats do. Maybe the material was left off to avoid feelings of inconsistency there or false bug reports?

I applied the classic message as part of an overall pass to put in the correct messages you get for different items when you click the info button, but I'm OK with changing it to include the material name.
Perhaps it could be made a toggleable option so people can use whatever they prefer, although I'd personally prefer to have the material there so that it's consistent with the other items

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

I edited my last post. If we change this we have to decide what to do for "leather" helms and shields.

Maybe use the no-material version for leather, and the material version for everything else?

CM August

Post by CM August »

To be fair, some leather and chain body pieces already look quite confusing as it is. For example, I repeatedly mistook leather boots for iron (owing to games like Oblivion and Skyrim where a similar leather-with-shin-plate look is used), and chain boots and gloves for elven or silver. I chalked it up to some being named in order to round out the set, rather than literally being made of that material. Ideally they would have had unique graphics to set them apart a little better.

R.D.

Post by R.D. »

This is in now as a setting https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfall-unity/pull/532.

The settings file (for me on Windows) is in C:\Users\(Account Name)\AppData\LocalLow\Daggerfall Workshop\Daggerfall Unity.