Odd details missing?

Discuss Daggerfall Unity and Daggerfall Tools for Unity.
Seterwind

Odd details missing?

Post by Seterwind »

As I was running around attempting to bug test the latest build I ran into something in town I hadn't quite run into before. I figure this isn't actually a bug since it seems like a very intentional placeholder however I was wondering the reason as to why this placeholder exists?

The detail is the little mounds that you can find in town.
Detail Bug Build104 - 1.png
Detail Bug Build104 - 1.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 2389 times
Currently these have no collision, and a rather jarring to walk through.

The original
Detail Bug Build104 - 2.png
Detail Bug Build104 - 2.png (70.34 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
I'm just not sure why this is as it is?

Hazelnut

Re: Odd details missing?

Post by Hazelnut »

The only difference in in the stone texture used, apart from that it's identical. Not sure what gives you the idea it is placeholder. (it's white on top because the season in DFU - is winter, and it's coverd by snow)

I've never experienced no collision and just checked with latest code and I definitely collide with it, kicks in the climbing mode.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Seterwind

Post by Seterwind »

Oh... umm huh... The fact I could walk right through it and texture difference made me think it was a place holder.

I went to the exact same mound in the same town in classic to test this with.

When I can get to my computer I'll post a small gif of the bug.

I'm running WIP 104... I guess this is a bug then. I'll see if its repeatable.

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Does it happen in every town ?
I seem to remember something similar, its either just a random occurance (which I originally chalked it up to) or maybe one of the town mounds is funky.
I'd like to check it out first hand if you can reproduce it.
If yes, let me know, if not, I guess its random.
I remember passing thru a mound quite a while ago, but it only happend once, and I never saw it again..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Seterwind

Post by Seterwind »

I couldn't repeat the error, when I tried to film it with the latest build. Which is strange. I tried to get it to repeat itself but so far no go.

I had tested it twice before posting, updated to a newer build and it went away.

These are the worst kind of bugs in my opinion.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

If you're talking about the collision issue, please don't worry about it. It's a well known and highly intermittent bug in Unity's physics system. It's been present since the start, and not just on those mounds. There's literally nothing different or unusual about the mounds, they get constructed the way as any other model at runtime. :)

I've already minimised this bug quite a bit over the years, and it will be resolved completely in later versions of Unity when I start building with them.