Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Re: Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell?

Post by mikeprichard »

That first "gold" version you showed, or something else similarly distinct from the gray background, would be fantastic; anything in the gray spectrum looks practically the same to me (and possibly others who even aren't colorblind, as Al-Khwarizmi suggested). But I appreciate your taking this into consideration - looking forward to the upcoming builds.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Builds are up now. Try the grey and let know what you think. I know it looks the same in a static shot, but I think it will still tip you off in live use this is an active control while still looking almost the same as classic.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Yes, I just tried the new build, and it's definitely a huge improvement, for me at least!

And since this has become my "random noob question" topic, on the issue of the spell interface: is "sorting" spells (up/down) within the Spellbook interface not yet implemented? Selecting/clicking "Up", "Down", or even "Sort" within the gray bar at the bottom of the interface doesn't actually move the selected spell up or down the list.

Interkarma

Re: Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post by Interkarma »

The sort/up/down buttons aren't implemented yet. Not difficult, I just keep forgetting to get around to it. Will be knock this out in next day or two.

mikeprichard

Re: Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post by mikeprichard »

OK! And yet another thing that you're likely already aware of and/or that's identical to vanilla Daggerfall, but just in case - some spell effect tooltips in the Spellbook interface display incorrect/misleading information. For example, although the Teleport effect has no adjustable Duration/Chance/Magnitude settings in the spellmaker, if you view a custom Teleport spell in your Spellbook list, it incorrectly shows "1 + 1 per 1 level(s)" in the Chance row (instead of "N/A" values). The same applies to the Duration and Chance values for a Heal Health spell, etc.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

This text is in your local TEXT.RSC file (in the Daggerfall install you provide). It's something people will need to fix in their copy of the game, as this text doesn't exist in Daggerfall Unity itself.

The translation folks know a lot about editing this file. And maybe we can help with a tool later on.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

OK, I figured it might be a vanilla Daggerfall issue. Correcting in-game text errors - not only tooltip text like this, but also the rampant grammatical/spelling errors found throughout the game in quest dialogues, flavor pop-up text, etc. - is about the only thing I'd be both interested in and capable of contributing to the project, so maybe it's something I could look into down the road given the proper editing tools and technical direction.