[0.10.24] Any way to use the numpad Enter?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
ivan.lt

[0.10.24] Any way to use the numpad Enter?

Post by ivan.lt »

Hello! I am new to Daggerfall Unity and it sure is an impressive piece of software. However, over the years I've developed a habit to confirm various entries and selections with the numpad Enter key which is conveniently situated right next to the mouse. Not only in games, in fact, mostly in other programs which honor the default button = Enter tradition. Daggerfall Unity does make the distinction between the two Enter keys in the save game dialog. In the spell selection dialog it's even worse, neither up/down arrows nor any of the Enters do anything which is heartbreaking for me. Is this the proper forum to address this kind of things? Should I use a feature request or bug tracker of some sort to bring this up?

And, since you're already reading this, for a first time Daggerfall player to experience the true spirit of the game, would you advise to go with the classic version or the 21st century remake? I do have a soft spot for the good old DOS era quirks and idiosyncrasies but you know, the luxury of the modern streamlined, so to speak, gaming has its own appeal. Thanks for your opinions.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.24] Any way to use the numpad Enter?

Post by Interkarma »

Hi, welcome to the forums. :)

Edit: Pangos answer below mine is much more detailed and thoughtful.

pango

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, ivan.lt!
ivan.lt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm Daggerfall Unity does make the distinction between the two Enter keys in the save game dialog.
Well, Unity's KeyCode makes a difference between Return and KeypadEnter, so games have to tell explicitly what keys to check.
Shouldn't be too difficult to fix though.
ivan.lt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm In the spell selection dialog it's even worse, neither up/down arrows nor any of the Enters do anything which is heartbreaking for me.
Actually arrow keys should work, but only if the list has the focus.
That one may be more tricky to fix, focus is linked to mouse position, I'm not sure what's the best way to handle that in the UI framework...
ivan.lt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm Is this the proper forum to address this kind of things? Should I use a feature request or bug tracker of some sort to bring this up?
Features requests are usually sent to Mods & Features General with "[Feature request]" in the topic.
However the last time I mentioned improving keyboard support I did it in General (whopps!)
ivan.lt wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:06 pm And, since you're already reading this, for a first time Daggerfall player to experience the true spirit of the game, would you advise to go with the classic version or the 21st century remake? I do have a soft spot for the good old DOS era quirks and idiosyncrasies but you know, the luxury of the modern streamlined, so to speak, gaming has its own appeal. Thanks for your opinions.
It's not possible to reproduce exactly the classic Daggerfall experience, not to mentioned it would be pointless given you can still play it using DOSBox.
I think the goal of Daggerfall Unity is to keep everything that made classic Daggerfall great (its world, its old school mechanics,...), while trying to remove what made Daggerfall hard to play for the wrong reasons (clunky controls, not great fps, bugs,...).

Daggerfall Unity comes with some new features enabled by default, but you can make it more closely match classic if you want: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1743
They're now even some retro mode shaders, not mentioned in above page, that can make it look more like classic. With that and an the OPL-3 rendering of the OST, you can get quite close to classic, if you used to play Daggerfall classic with a SoundBlaster.
Personally I often play it in retro mode with palettization (except sky), but not the OPL-3 OST. YMMV.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

ivan.lt

Post by ivan.lt »

Thanks for the welcome and the replies!
pango wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:56 pm Actually arrow keys should work, but only if the list has the focus.
That one may be more tricky to fix, focus is linked to mouse position, I'm not sure what's the best way to handle that in the UI framework...
Yes, they do work as you described so it's a relief, hovering the mouse before pressing Enter is easy enough. Why on Earth the developers of Unity decided that way is beyond me, keyboard input following mouse is a 30 year old experiment which IMO has proved itself wrong.