Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
mikeprichard

Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post by mikeprichard »

I created a custom class in classic Daggerfall, then loaded that character's classic save in DFU (mainly to be able to choose my primary/major/minor skills, since custom classes aren't yet in DFU). Two questions:

1) Are there any known dangers (corrupted saves/crashes/inaccurate character data) to creating a custom character in classic Daggerfall, then continuing to play that character in DFU?
2) Which of the following special (dis)advantages accurately carry over from classic custom character saves to DFU?
--Forbidden materials - I think yes
--Increased magery - I think yes, as I chose 3xINT spell points, and with 60 INT my spellbook shows 180 spell points
--Immunities/critical weaknesses - I assume no, since these aren't implemented yet in DFU

And a few other random noob questions to avoid creating separate topics in this forum:

1) What exactly does the DFU "Sneak" function do? Does it somehow add to/replace the always-on passive Stealth skill from classic Daggerfall, and/or affect Backstabbing or Pickpocket chances, and/or do something else?
2) How do you attempt to steal/pickpocket items from store shelves? Regardless of which interaction mode I'm in, or whether I'm in Sneak/Crouch stance, the "Steal" button in the shelf inventory UI can't be selected.
3) Where can I sell miscellaneous items? Under build 111/Win 64-bit, even pawn shops won't purchase things like religious items/rare symbols/icons/holy daggers/scarabs etc.

Cheers!
Last edited by mikeprichard on Sun May 20, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Interkarma

Re: Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell?

Post by Interkarma »

Just on the first couple of questions, you can safely import custom characters from classic. But not all of the class pack settings will function as they're coupled to effect system and still need to be built. But as you've observed, many of them do function, and it won't be much longer before I get to these items in effect system.

Sneak: Hold down sneak key while moving to reduce your detection radius for enemies. If your skill is high enough, you should be able to get close enough for a backstab or avoid them completely. You can even sneak on the horse, and it's cooler than you might think.

Steal: The Steal interaction mode is for pick pocketing and lock picking. To steal from shops you need to break in outside of hours when the shop is closed (shopkeeper must not be around). Then just open shelves as normal and take from them. Wait until late at night and go on a spree. :)

Not sure about selling these misc items. Hazelnut can speak with more authority on this one as he built the shop services.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Interkarma - thanks for taking time to answer these questions! It's been a verrry long time since I've played vanilla Daggerfall, so I totally forgot how stealing worked.

And if Hazelnut is around, I'd appreciate his input on where I can sell that miscellaneous stuff.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ha, I've probably played the least amount of classic DF out of anyone around here. But I did implement this so I do know. Pawn shops for the stuff you can't sell at general stores & weapon/armour places usually.

Wait you say pawn shops are not buying the misc stuff? I will check that and get back to you - theyu should
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks, Hazelnut - the two pawn shops in Chesterwark aren't buying any miscellaneous stuff (the items I listed, as well as torches/lanterns/candles/bandages etc.). Latest build, Win 7 64-bit.

And two more questions on stealth and stealing (sorry, I've been getting into DFU for the first time in a while so have lots of questions!):

1) Does the Sneak function work entirely separately from the Stealth skill? I'm thinking Sneak affects enemy detection radius, as you explained, while Stealth affects whether an enemy detects you once you're within that radius, right?
2) Are there any consequences to taking things from dressers/chests etc. in buildings? I've taken clothing and miscellaneous items from these containers right in front of NPCs, and neither they nor the guards have any reaction.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Holding down sneak key = using stealth skill. It's an active ability. The higher your stealth skill, the more effective you will be at sneaking.

Limited consequences to stealing right now. Crime and punishment was originally right at the end of the roadmap, but thanks to our awesome community it's already mostly complete. Sooner or later Allofich will add penalties for lifting those long shirts from dressers. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Mike wrote: Fri May 18, 2018 8:26 pm Thanks, Hazelnut - the two pawn shops in Chesterwark aren't buying any miscellaneous stuff (the items I listed, as well as torches/lanterns/candles/bandages etc.). Latest build, Win 7 64-bit.
You are selecting the clothing and misc tab right?

(Note that the tabs also apply to wagon in DFU - a QOL improvement)

Well it works for me using the github code. What build number are you using, assuming it's still an issue?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

My god... please forgive my senility, but I was using the wrong stores. I can sell the miscellaneous items to pawn shops without any problems. I'm really sorry for having wasted your time!!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Do not worry. You will never match my record for frivolous bug reports :lol:

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I'm in good company then!

Yet another question - I can't edit any of the values in the duration/chance/magnitude rows of the spellmaker. Is value editing for those rows not yet supported, or is it again my brain that's only partially implemented?