Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell; spellbook interfaces?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Interkarma

Re: Loading classic save with custom character; sneak/steal/sell?

Post by Interkarma »

Mike wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 4:15 am Yet another question - I can't edit any of the values in the duration/chance/magnitude rows of the spellmaker. Is value editing for those rows not yet supported, or is it again my brain that's only partially implemented?
Which effect are you looking at? The rows available depend on the effect itself. This is fully implemented per classic.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I've looked at Cure Disease and Heal Health. No matter which button I press and/or number I click within each effect screen, I can't seem to edit those values from the base (which essentially sets every pertinent value to "1" - e.g. for Cure Disease, I can't alter the Chance to anything except the default 1 + 1 per 1 level(s)).

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Have you tried clicking the up/down buttons above and below each number? This works perfectly as far as I'm aware. Clicking the numbers themselves doesn't do anything.

If that doesn't work send me a copy of your output log after reproducing problem and see if I can help. :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Again, good god... I didn't realize the bars just above and below the numbers were arrows (I'm colorblind and saw them just as solid gray bars at first)... it works; my brain once more doesn't. Thanks for taking the time to respond all the same!

While I'm at it with these rook questions - although I had no problems training Restoration with the Mage's Guild trainer up to the 50% training cap, I can't seem to be able to raise the skill any further through use (e.g. even casting a cheap Heal Health spell or a cheap-ish Cure Disease spell over 100 times, then resting, doesn't result in any skill increase). Is this yet to be implemented?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Phew, glad that was an easy one. :)

Correct, magic is not currently tied to skill increases. This will be added soon (aiming for early next month) once more effects are done.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Great - thanks again for all the feedback.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Mike wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:51 pm Again, good god... I didn't realize the bars just above and below the numbers were arrows (I'm colorblind and saw them just as solid gray bars at first)... it works; my brain once more doesn't. Thanks for taking the time to respond all the same!
Looking at this from your perspective, I can see how this could happen. There's almost no shaping or colour boundaries to those up/down buttons.

I've made a small change where mousing over these buttons will light them up in a semi-transparent "Daggerfall gold" colour. This projects a decent amount of red/green and a smaller amount of blue wavelength light. Even if not highly visible to certain types of colour blindness, it should create a small "flicker" of change as the mouse passes over it to indicate it can be clicked. Hopefully this will help others who might encounter this same problem one day in the future.
effect-editor-hot-buttons.jpg
effect-editor-hot-buttons.jpg (9.05 KiB) Viewed 2533 times
And hopefully other users don't mind this change. If I get any complaints, I'll add an option later to disable. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I think any color would work well, such as a dark grey. Even more so if it blinks. But if it's done, no need to change it.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Dark grey was the first colour I tried. It doesn't stand out that much because the button is already grey. Here's the same button highlighted grey.
effect-editor-hot-buttons-grey.jpg
effect-editor-hot-buttons-grey.jpg (8.91 KiB) Viewed 2527 times
However, it still creates a nice movement effect when you mouse over it and the button dims. And it doesn't look that different from the base setup that I don't think people will mind. Just that brief "flicker" of movement as mouse passes over it should be enough to indicate these are wired for mouse input.

I'll stick with grey for now in next builds and wait for feedback.

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

Mike wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 12:51 pm(I'm colorblind and saw them just as solid gray bars at first)
I'm not color blind (AFAIK) and still have to make a conscious effort to see the vanilla arrows, I think I could easily miss them if I didn't know they should be there. They are just difficult to see, they almost don't stand out.