"Door to nowhere" in inn reacts differntly in DFU

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Kepling

"Door to nowhere" in inn reacts differntly in DFU

Post by Kepling »

Included are a save file and a simplified map of the inn in question. Tested with 0.1.1

I found an inn with 3 outside doors(2 of which are in the courtyard), but only 2 have corresponding inside doors. This is a design flaw from the original game, but it reacts differently in DFU.

In the original DF the door to nowhere send you to the front door on the 1st floor.

In DFU when you use the door to nowhere you are sent to the 2nd floor, guessing it's the same spot as the front door spawn point except that it's the upper floor. I rested in the inn and the resting spawn point is not the same spot as where the door to nowhere sends you.
Attachments
DoorToNowhere.jpg
DoorToNowhere.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
SAVE0.zip
(52.32 KiB) Downloaded 204 times

Interkarma

Re: "Door to nowhere" in inn reacts differntly in DFU

Post by Interkarma »

When transitioning indoors, DFTFU will try to find the closest "enter marker", as this is usually placed by designers in front of the nearest interior door. Quite a few building interiors have problems like this where there is no matching interior doors, markers are misplaced, and sometimes the wrong marker is used entirely.

The difference in marker selection behaviour is down to my implementation finding a closer marker than the one at the front door. I'm guessing that marker should not be there and was probably left behind after designers changed the layout of that particular interior template.

I've seen enough of these marker problems that one day I will probably rewrite to put player in front of nearest actual door. The current system works over 95% of the time, and the failures are fairly minor, so it will probably be one of those things that get tightened up sometime in the future.

Cheers for the spot, and creating such a detailed post. Keep 'em coming. :)