Still not finding data in MyDaggerfallPath on Linux

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
MajorLunaC

Still not finding data in MyDaggerfallPath on Linux

Post by MajorLunaC »

I keep struggling to get Daggerfall Unity to detect the Daggerfall data properly, but I can't seem to get it right. I'm using the Linux version of Daggerfall Unity, and the ElderScrolls.com version of Daggerfall. In settings.ini, I set:

MyDaggerfallPath=/home/lunac/games/Daggerfall Unity 0.1.1 (Linux)/Daggerfall Unity_Data/DFInstall/DFCD/DAGGER/

inside of which is ARENA2. I ran dag213.exe patch from http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Files
Technically, I realized afterward that they actually included the last patch with the game in /DFInstall/DAGGER/DAG213.EXE , but it probably still needs to install.

So, the problem is that it's still not finding anything there. I made doubly sure to check the addresses. My question is, do I actually need to install it using DosBox somewhere, because it won't detect any space on any of the fake DosBox drives, so there's "not enough room to install". If not, what then?

Interkarma

Re: Still not finding data in MyDaggerfallPath on Linux

Post by Interkarma »

G'day MajorLunaC, welcome to the forums. :)

You will need a full install of Daggerfall to use Daggerfall Unity (including copying .VID files into /arena2). As Daggerfall itself was a DOS-only game, you will need to install first to a compatible environment to generate the files needed. Unfortunately we can't point it to the source CD as a few essential files are in a compressed archive.

Once you've created the install on a compatible system, you can copy the installed Daggerfall folder onto a USB drive and use those files on Linux with Daggerfall Unity. My recommendation is install using DaggerfallSetup on a Windows partition (or ask a friend with Windows, or try Wine) then copy the files to your Linux box. Whenever you download a new version of Daggerfall Unity, you can just point it to those same files. I agree it's annoying, but at least you only need to do it once.

At a later stage, I will ask Bethesda for permission to create a standalone installer. For now, I'm asking users to download one of the free Daggerfall installations. I know it's less convenient, but it helps make it clear to most people what I'm creating is an add-on mod for free Daggerfall.

MajorLunaC

Re: Still not finding data in MyDaggerfallPath on Linux

Post by MajorLunaC »

Ah, thank you! The DaggerfallSetup.exe does work just fine with Wine, and Daggerfall Unity now works (so far). Unfortunately, I see a numerical difference of about 20 files from Bethesda's DFInstall files and the DaggerfallSetup.exe install (I guess those compressed files you mentioned), and that goes up to over 100 files more if including all the unofficial patches offered in DaggerfallSetup.exe .

Knowing DOS, I don't think any of the standard archive programs can extract those files. However, I do see several data extractor utilities in the link I found before, if that helps:
http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Fil ... nd_Viewers

If all else fails, you can also try some extraction of the DaggerfallSetup.exe with Innoextract, as it seems it was made with Inno Setup.

Anyway, thanks for the help! Problem solved for me! :)