Found inconsistent dungeon: The Roost of Grumerus [GAME DATA RELATED]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jammer

Re: Found inconsistent dungeon: The Roost of Grumerus [GAME DATA RELATED]

Post by Jammer »

BadLuckBurt wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:44 pm
Jammer wrote: Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:36 pm Is there a place to post dungeons with broken layouts besides creating a new thread here?
No, I don't think there is. I've only seen this post and the post it links to.

If any mods happen to read this, it might be a good idea to gather broken dungeon info into a sticky thread to get an idea of how many there are. If there's a pattern to the broken ones (always the same RDBs etc.) it might be possible to patch it in code directly or, if that's not an option, Hazelnut's WorldData system should allow me to fix it once that's in.
The one I found seems to be a different issue. The rest of the dungeon is only accessible "behind" the entrance, and the block it connects to only has a dead-end room for the second connection on that edge.

This is The Hold of Gav'kern in Lainlyn
20191112093552_1.jpg
20191112093552_1.jpg (379.42 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
20191112093819_1-hi.jpg
20191112093819_1-hi.jpg (376.37 KiB) Viewed 2401 times
20191112093748_1-hi.jpg
20191112093748_1-hi.jpg (399.99 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Jammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:54 pm The one I found seems to be a different issue. The rest of the dungeon is only accessible "behind" the entrance, and the block it connects to only has a dead-end room for the second connection on that edge.

This is The Hold of Gav'kern in Lainlyn
Thank you for the follow up and screenshots. I've just finished a script that lets me import dungeon blocks into Blender so I can load in the offending dungeons and figure out what exactly is going on with these dungeons. I'll drop back in here when I know what the causes are and hopefully present Interkarma with some options to fix it :)
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Probably worth checking to see if classic is doing anything different to DFU in this case.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm Probably worth checking to see if classic is doing anything different to DFU in this case.
Well, that's interesting. Here is the entrance in DFU:
20191112093517_1.jpg
20191112093517_1.jpg (176.3 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
And classic does...this:
classic-entrance.png
classic-entrance.png (35.25 KiB) Viewed 2379 times

BadLuckBurt

Post by BadLuckBurt »

Jammer wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 8:47 pm
Hazelnut wrote: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:42 pm Probably worth checking to see if classic is doing anything different to DFU in this case.
Well, that's interesting. Here is the entrance in DFU:

20191112093517_1.jpg

And classic does...this:

classic-entrance.png
So, the plot thickens but I think I know how they did this. I'll investigate over the weekend and if this is how they fix the broken dungeons, a small code check should be all that's necessary. Thank you for checking it out!
DFU on UESP: https://en.uesp.net/w/index.php?title=T ... fall_Unity
DFU Nexus Mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfallunity
My github repositories with mostly DFU related stuff: https://github.com/BadLuckBurt

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

There are 3x dungeons reported so far where the exit quad is rotated in classic (but not in DFU):
  • Lainlyn/The Hold of Gav'kern (W0000009.RDB)
  • Wayrest/The Roost of Grumerus (W0000020.RDB)
  • Wrothgarian Mountains/The Tower of Hearthhouse (W0000009.RDB again) from this topic.
In these cases, the exit quad is positioned directly inside a doorway.

I have a mechanism for removing duplicate doors that I could easily repurpose into providing a rotation to exit quad when overlapping a doorway. The problem is this might create cases where the dungeon becomes opened the void if not applied using the same logic as classic. I'd prefer to increase understanding of conditions where this occurs first.

So far, this has only been seen with wet dungeon blocks (W*.RDB) that happen to be entrance block. That's a good point of commonality for this behaviour.

Jammer

Post by Jammer »

Found another dungeon with the W0000018.RDB block issue: The Nhild-e Cabal, Lainlyn

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Ok, I could have sworn I’ve seen this exact dungeon setup, ecxept the exit blocking the way is only on the map(like in the screenshots in this thread). But ingame the passage is open and the exit is somewhere else in the dungeon.

I want to say that what I remeber is one of the MQ dungeons? Like Direnni or Wayrest castle?

pango

Post by pango »

Ralzar wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:32 am I want to say that what I remeber is one of the MQ dungeons? Like Direnni or Wayrest castle?
Lysandus' Tomb maybe?
exit not exit.jpg
exit not exit.jpg (241.39 KiB) Viewed 2310 times
Attachments
SAVE365.zip
(1.64 MiB) Downloaded 129 times
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

jayhova

Post by jayhova »

Once upon a time, I was thinking it would be nice to have a dungeon validator. I have collided with both instances of unplayable dungeons. The first case was a quest dungeon where the quest object was in an inaccessible section of the dungeon. The second case was a dungeon that was an ironman killer. Basically, when an evil shaman teleported you here you could not escape if you did not have a means of teleporting out.

Let's call this the Hova effect :D. Wait, is that too narcissistic? It's strange that most of the time people run into the dungeons that have a trick to getting out but they didn't find it. In both my cases this did not happen and my GAME RELATED DATA issue was a game stopper.
Remember always 'What would Julian Do?'.