Custom Scene Help

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
kingOfWyrms

Custom Scene Help

Post by kingOfWyrms »

I'd like to mess around with creating a custom scene, but I'm having issues with spawning into an edited world. Streaming world has been default for a while, I know I need to turn it off to play in anything that isn't vanilla, and I've tried disabling it, but that causes a bunch of problems. I still end up having to load a save game at start, so I don't spawn where I place the Player Object. I tried making a new scene, but I can't figure out how to set it up to run properly. I'd appreciate any instructions anyone can offer me on setting up DFTFU to make custom scenes. I'm willing to deal with the restriction of not being able to change the terrain height or textures, since right now I'm just trying to make an interior.

I know what I'm trying to do is possible from the old tutorials that have been taken down. I just need help setting up modern DFTFU for it.

Interkarma

Re: Custom Scene Help

Post by Interkarma »

Hey mate, sorry for taking down tutorials for time being. So much has changed the old tutorials don't really apply anymore. I'm working through revising tutorials for latest code, and they will be back in a few weeks at most when stable build drops.

As before, I will try to make it easy as possible to put together a custom scene without streaming world or most of the game stuff. But there are some dependencies I need to break first that have crept in during gameplay development.

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Cool, thanks for the info. Looking forward to the new tutorials!

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Just realised there's a feature for importing specific models from Daggerfall after forgetting about said feature for a week. That makes what I wanted to do seem way more possible (again). Is there any way to create billboards out of non-billboard Daggerfall sprites, or even just import billboards the same way we do models?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's possible in code to make a billboard from any of the images, although none of the editor tools provide workflow for this. Can you describe what you need to do? I might be able to suggest a process.

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Just wanted to try importing some of the textures as billboards for use as decorations, like the various bottle textures in TEXTURE.205.

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Sorry to necro, but I'm still looking to mess around with custom scenes. Any idea when those tutorials will be out?

What I'm specifically looking for is an easy way to get vanilla billboard and non-billboard sprites into the scene as billboards. With models I'm able to just grab whatever model I need after looking it up in DFModeling, but the only way I've found for getting billboards in is importing an RMB or RDB with the desired billboard in it. Of course, it's very obtuse having to find them via knowledge of what blocks they appear in. And that process doesn't allow for something like using an inventory sprite as a billboard, so I couldn't grab an alchemy ingredient and place it in the world.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hi kingOfWyrms, my apologies not all tutorials have been updated yet.

I'll see what I can do about adding an editor control to drop a custom billboard into scene. Are you cloning from git or downloading the pre-made DFTFU package at the moment?

kingOfWyrms

Post by kingOfWyrms »

Interkarma wrote:Are you cloning from git or downloading the pre-made DFTFU package at the moment?
I can do either, might just need to brush up on cloning a bit. I prefer to just download the latest build from the Github page, but I should be able to clone.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

That's OK. Downloading is fine too. I just wanted to make sure you were able to access the live code. :)

I'll see what I can put in for dropping custom billboards in the next few days. And don't hesitate to chase me if I don't have something for you by mid-week!