Commoners & Animals sprites - shadows/colliders are missing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Commoners & Animals sprites - shadows/colliders are missing

Post by King of Worms »

Shadows.jpg
Shadows.jpg (277 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
1st) I think it would be good to enable shadows for commoners and animals
You can see that the MOB in the screen has a full shadow and other sprites do not (But thanks to the SSAO they have at least this darker area below them)

2nd) Enable colliders for :
- static NPCs (King/queen, temple ppl, tavern ppl..)
- commoners (City ppl..)
- animals (Cows, dogs...)

The colliders give sprite a perceived mass, it works good for MOBs already - and it will work good for the above mentioned sprites as well. I think it would add to the feeling of the game and interaction within the world. You dont walk thru people in other games as well... ;)

Nature sprites (trees etc) would not benefit from this - contrary it would render tedious travel mod unusable..

PS: Sorry if this is a wrong section to post this

Interkarma

Re: Commoners & Animals sprites - shadows/colliders are missing

Post by Interkarma »

I'm happy to enable shadows for these objects. Will see what I can do before next release. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:25 am I'm happy to enable shadows for these objects. Will see what I can do before next release. :)
Made my day, thank you :)

I think the colliders might be a bit controversial, but Im a firm believer you should not be able to go thru NPCs - in a same way you cant go thru MOBs.

I have not noticed a situation in the game, where going thru the NPC was necessary. So I think the risk of player getting stuck, because of NPCs collider being in his way, is quite small? Colliders might be just a setting in a options..

Anyway, completely up to you guys if you like the idea or not ;)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

From 0.10.23 enable the following settings.ini options to enable shadows for mobile NPCs and general billboards like animals.

Code: Select all

MobileNPCShadows = True
GeneralBillboardShadows = True
I don't know about enabling colliders for static and mobile NPCs and other sprites. Maybe as an option someday, but it's definitely not a priority at this time and will be more time consuming to implement than this quick shadow change.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for this Interkarma, I completely missed that reply. Gonna test and report back

EDIT: tested in Beta, works like a charm. Have not noticed any performance degradation personally. And it looks great! Ofc the shadows from sprites have their limitations, but that applies to all sprites in DFU and Im ok with that.

Im sure this is a change which improves the game visuals and my opinion is that players should be able to enable it in the game menu.
Spoiler!
KoWs.jpg
KoWs.jpg (288.54 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Commoners.jpg
Commoners.jpg (193.04 KiB) Viewed 1095 times

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Would be nice to add to the DFU configuration settings screens I think, or do you think there's already too many option Interkarma?
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, settings are getting a bit cramped and crowded. It's at the point we need a another tab, or a scrolling list of options that can keep expanding.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Move FoV & Terrain distance to left hand side 'basic' on video page and then there'll be room for more shadow options. :D (yep I love to squeeze stuff in)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods