Quest log empty?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Interkarma

Re: Quest log empty?

Post by Interkarma »

You're welcome, happy to hear that helped. :)

KZadBhat

Post by KZadBhat »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:11 am Can you please confirm that game been installed correctly using the DaggerfallGameFiles method. This is now the recommended way to install Daggerfall Unity. Your success may vary with other setup methods due to factors we cannot control.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27538#p27538

To summarise:
  • Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  • Unzip DaggerfallUnity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.10.24 (match version used)
  • Delete your settings.ini from persistent data path then run DFU again and point to the fresh game data above.
Because you've potentially setup with game data that potentially isn't working, don't skip step 3. You have to delete settings.ini and point to new game data unzipped in step 1.

Then start a new test character and let me know if you still experience issues with quests displaying in quest log. The next step is to attempt starting a quest then provide a zip of of your output log to see if any visible errors are occurring. Information below on finding your output log is below, it's in the same folder as your settings.ini and "saves" parent folder.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552
So glad I came to check out H&S, I was having this exact same problem, and the exact same solution worked.

I had unzipped both DaggerfallGameFiles and DaggerfallUnity into the same directory, where DaggerfallUnity found the data just fine . . . with no setup. Turns out that may have been the problem, as the executable was finding the data files just fine, but nothing was listed in the settings.ini for MyDaggerfallPath. Ran a new game, and got a quest just fine, to go get a beloved and bring them to a Temple of Kynareth to marry. Most importantly, it worked!

I'd recommend adding the details of these instructions into the DFU install instructions, since the reason I put the files together in the first place is because that's what it said on that page. Also, would be best to make the DFU setup run, even if the files are right there to begin with, just to make sure MyDaggerfallPath is filled in.

pango

Post by pango »

KZadBhat wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:38 am I'd recommend adding the details of these instructions into the DFU install instructions, since the reason I put the files together in the first place is because that's what it said on that page.
Mmmh the page above says to unarchive Daggerfall under C:\Games\Daggerfall and Daggerfall Unity under C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity... You're referring to another page, or you read it too fast?
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

KZadBhat

Post by KZadBhat »

Apparently yes, I did read it too fast. Okay then, actually following instructions prevents the problem.