Automap performance issue at high resolution unmodded

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
keenerb

Automap performance issue at high resolution unmodded

Post by keenerb »

1920x1080 peformance vs. 3240x2160 on surface book 2 with integrated Nvidia 1060 video.

https://streamable.com/s0eer9

https://streamable.com/qrisat

Game itself runs at 90+ fps at all times.

It also has performance issues running on a 4k Nvidia 1060 desktop system.

Anyone else running a 2K+ display with DFU?

Interkarma

Re: Automap performance issue at high resolution unmodded

Post by Interkarma »

Hi, welcome to the forums. :)

I usually run at 1440p fullscreen on a desktop (i7-9700k, GTX 1660Ti, 16GB RAM, Win10) without mods. When looking at the dungeon automap, I can confirm it feels slower at UHD resolution than at 1080p or 1440p, both of which feel perfectly smooth on my system. Still very usable, but I can see what you're saying.

This is something that should be open to further optimisation. For the time being, please configure game in a way that runs well on your individual systems. We'll take a look at improving performance of automap towards the end of Beta, or earlier if someone wants to take it on.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

can you try to uninstall all mods and texture packs and see if it gets smoother?
I can see from the video that you have mods installed - just to make sure it is not related to a mod throwing exceptions

KZadBhat

Post by KZadBhat »

Running on an old Core 2 Duo with GeForce 705 graphics. Have to run it with Retro Rendering Mode to get good performance indoors, but does run fine. Completely unmodded. And still the automap is significantly less smooth than gameplay.

I'm about to try it with 0.10.26a, but this is at least my experience so far with 0.10.24.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

I will take a look and see what could be the culprit/limiting factor here

KZadBhat

Post by KZadBhat »

Having played further, I've found that the automap is actually slowing down significantly when inside town buildings, when I'm already getting a framerate drop anyway. But in dungeons it actually does move fairly smooth. Noticeably less smooth than gameplay itself, but still not bad. I'm going to experiment with lighting and report back.

Report: Sure enough, if I turn off "Interior Lights Cast Shadows", not only does the interior of building get smoother, so does the automap inside. Maybe we're just pushing things right to the edge of what our systems can handle, and the automap is just slightly more intense?

TheRiddick2077

Post by TheRiddick2077 »

I don't like digging up old threads but I wanted to comment since I play at 4k and the automap gives me like 10fps or something. I heard it could be related to lighting being enabled in the automap, maybe it and switch to just ambient only?