Slow FPS in taverns

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Keeper Raul

Slow FPS in taverns

Post by Keeper Raul »

I'm getting very slow FPS in taverns, my computer is not the best, but I would expect slower FPS in the open world, since I'm using Nystul's "Extended View Distance", but while in the open I get around 35 FPS (which is fine for me), in taverns it drops to an almost unplayable level. Other interiors like dungeons, houses and temples my FPS jumps to 45-50, so the problem only happens in taverns. Any idea why this happens? Or any solution?
(also, sorry for the bad english)

Interkarma

Re: Slow FPS in taverns

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for the report! I've not encountered this one before.

Would you be able to try one of the older builds from Live Builds page and let me know if problem existed in the past? And are other large interiors affected also (like mage's guild for example)?

It would also be handy to grab a copy of your player log file (see manual for location depending on platform). If one of the scene components has crashed, this can give the impression of poor FPS even if game continues to run. The log might have more details for me.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

not sure if the following lines have to do with your problem experienced (since it effects all building types, not only taverns):

this issue might be related to shadow quality - I experience fps drops inside buildings as well since the recent changes to lights when high quality shadows are enabled in unity under Edit->Project Settings->Quality->Shadows: High Resolution

Just pick medium shadow resolution which seems to be fine quality-wise and which does not result in low fps (at least it works fine for me)

not sure what settings were used for recent live builds, but maybe interkarma can check if this could be the cause of the problem

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

Turning off reflections fixed this on my end (especially in the castle's, dungeons), seems to go away the more I boot this up tho, so I re-enabled the mod..
Also turning off the RoughnessMultiplier (setting to zero) seems to help..

Could be the shadows tho for all I know..
Hope this helps..
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Deathcrush

Post by Deathcrush »

Interkarma wrote:Thanks for the report! I've not encountered this one before.

Would you be able to try one of the older builds from Live Builds page and let me know if problem existed in the past? And are other large interiors affected also (like mage's guild for example)?

It would also be handy to grab a copy of your player log file (see manual for location depending on platform). If one of the scene components has crashed, this can give the impression of poor FPS even if game continues to run. The log might have more details for me.
I should grab a log as well to send. I have a Radeon 8770 and Intel i7 (in a laptop, it's about 4 years old now) and get hits to the FPS in castles, taverns and dungeons. The FPS is dungeons is usually fine, sometimes it does slow down though. The castles have been the worst for me. As soon as I step in the FPS goes down to 20 (give or take 5 FPS).
"Excuse the gloom, but none may know of this meeting."

chico76

Post by chico76 »

I also have this problem in the Taverns.
Running Arch Linux
Kernel - 5.2.8-arch1-1-ARCH
DF-Unity 0.10.4
I'll post a log when I enter a tavern again.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

What are your system specs? This is usually CPU/GPU related to shadows.

Please try disabling interior shadows and dungeon shadows in advanced settings. If that helps, you could try lowering shadow resolution and distance in settings.ini before enabling settings again.

chico76

Post by chico76 »

4 core cpu:
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 60
model name : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4800MQ CPU @ 2.70GHz
------------------------------------------
GPU:
[Radeon HD 8790M]

Ram:
16G

there should be no problem with the shadow.
How do I find the logs for dfUnity?

chico76

Post by chico76 »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 11:40 am What are your system specs? This is usually CPU/GPU related to shadows.

Please try disabling interior shadows and dungeon shadows in advanced settings. If that helps, you could try lowering shadow resolution and distance in settings.ini before enabling settings again.
BTW, thanks,. I'll try it out.

chico76

Post by chico76 »

Disabling the shadows seems to help.
Still slow in palaces, but that I can live with