[SOLVED] Can't open Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
arminius

[SOLVED] Can't open Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Post by arminius »

I extracted the Daggerfall Unity into the "dag" directory. Game files are in another directory.
When I launch the "DaggerfallUnity.x86_64" binary file in the terminal emulator, it outputs:

Code: Select all

Set current directory to /home/john/load/dag
Found path: /home/john/load/dag/DaggerfallUnity.x86_64
And then it opens "Daggerfall Unity" application for a moment (I can see on the window name) and the program exits, instead of opening a menu for selecting game files. I am using the October DU build on Artix Linux., with Xorg display server. I extracted the Daggerfall Unity into the empty "dag" directory. Game files, which I downloaded from the DU website, are in a separate directory.
I also don't have a graphics card.
I am sorry if there is an answer already on the forum. I couldn't search for terms "linux", or "on linux" on the search engine of this forum. It says the words are too common.

UPD: My "Player.log" file:

Code: Select all

Mono path[0] = '/home/john/load/dag/DaggerfallUnity_Data/Managed'
Mono config path = '/home/john/load/dag/DaggerfallUnity_Data/MonoBleedingEdge/etc'
Display 0 '0': 1024x768 (primary device).
Unable to load player prefs
Desktop is 1024 x 768 @ 60 Hz
Unable to find a supported OpenGL core profile
Failed to create valid graphics context: please ensure you meet the minimum requirements
E.g. OpenGL core profile 3.2 or later for OpenGL Core renderer
[Vulkan init] extensions: count=2
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_debug_report, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_debug_utils, enabled=0
Vulkan detection: 0
No supported renderers found, exiting 
(Filename:  Line: 629)
So it seems that it needs a graphics card for OpenGL. "Retro rendering" settings didn't help.

pango

Re: [SOLVED] Can't open Daggerfall Unity on Linux

Post by pango »

Yup, I develop on Daggerfall Unity on Linux, so OS shouldn't be an issue.
I'm using Linux Mint, but I installed Artix in VirtualBox, and Daggerfall Unity started correctly (I had a mouse issue because of VirtualBox, but that's another problem).
artix.jpg
artix.jpg (83.56 KiB) Viewed 969 times
But yeah, you need an OpenGL 3.2 (3.3?) capable video card to run Daggerfall Unity.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart