Silence Glitch?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
lessthanoff

Silence Glitch?

Post by lessthanoff »

So I just started the quest to find Nulfaga in her castle, and have encountered an issue. While the silencing effect is active on my character, I just get the "You are silenced" message when I attempt to cast anything. But after it wears off, I no longer get the "You are silenced" message when I attempt to cast a spell. However, casting anything after this point doesn't work (I open up my spellbook, double-click a spell, the spellbook disappears, and nothing happens).

This persists when I attempt to reload the save, and even affects all of my previous saves from way before (like in-game months). The only thing that seems to fix it is when I quit the game entirely and re-enter it. But then the problem seems to happen all over again the next time I get silenced.

It's weird because this hasn't happened in previous dungeons when fighting enemies who can silence me. The only real change that has happened between those encounters and now is being turned into a vampire.

The mods I have installed (as well as the order) are: BasicMagicRegen; Birds in Daggerfall; Daggerfall Skyshards; Decorator; Distant Terrain; RoleplayRealism; DREAM; Enhanced Sky; Handpainted Models; Improved Interior Lighting; Real Grass; Post Processing; Taverns Redone Dream patch; Villager Immersion Overhaul; Taverns Redone; Vibrant Wind; Vampiric Options.

Any thoughts? Thanks :)

lessthanoff

Re: Silence Glitch?

Post by lessthanoff »

Additional note: So after having turned off my pc, I have tried to recreate the issue for about twenty minutes. For some reason now, it doesn't do it anymore. The only two differences between then and now are 1.) my pc has been turned off and turned back on several hours later, and 2.) I have been playing in windowed mode this current play session, whereas I was playing full screen before (don't see how this would have anything to do with it, but there it is).

I'll keep playing and see if it happens again, for whatever reason. :?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Hey, welcome to forums! :)

Thank you for reporting. I've not been able to reproduce this one just yet, and I'm not sure what lead to effect sticking around in this case.

By any chance did you die shortly after being silenced then reload? I'm trying to think of situations where the spell effect might become "orphaned" from player entity and keep hanging around until game is restarted.

lessthanoff

Post by lessthanoff »

Thanks for the reply!

I thought that could have been the case, too. I don't remember that happening the first time, specifically (the second time, it just happened after I fought two sorcerers who silenced me - no deaths).

I played again today and tried a whole bunch of stuff: dying before, during and after being silenced and then reloading; trying to cast magic repeatedly while silenced; casting magic effects on top of one another after being silenced; spamming spells at them when they cast spell absorb (I thought maybe I was mistaken about what had caused it). Nothing seemed to reproduce what happened yesterday.

I defeated the dungeon and completed the quest without it happening again. So I'm not sure what happened to be honest. :?