[0.10.27] Heavy stuttering when loading a new area

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
vini1264

[0.10.27] Heavy stuttering when loading a new area

Post by vini1264 »

Hi, I'm having a issue with my game where it's stuttering like crazy. This issue happens when i'm traveling through the world and it loads a new area, for some reason the game stutters and it don't stop. The only way I found to stop this is using fast travel, when I use it the stuttering stops. I've already disabled the graphically instensive mods to test and the issue remains.

Interkarma

Re: [0.10.27] Heavy stuttering when loading a new area

Post by Interkarma »

Hey welcome to the forums. :)

A small amount of stutter is normal when loading an area, but it shouldn't be heavy or last more than about a second or two. If this persists then something else is happening. It would be helpful to know your system specs and mod loadout to diagnose further..

Just something off the top of my head - DREAM videos were known to cause persistent stuttering at one point. If you haven't already, please remove the DREAM video mod just as a starting point.

Otherwise, we'll await your update with specs and mod loadout to troubleshoot further. Cheers!

vini1264

Post by vini1264 »

Hi again, when a new area is loaded the game starts to act like it's skipping frames, and also the music starts to lag with this as well, this remains until I use fast travel to a new area, with this the weird frameskip/stuttering stops. Also I don't use DREAM in my playthrough, here's my mod layout:

The airships mod
Enhanced Sky
Birds in daggerfall
mountains and hills
Splat terrain texturing
persistent dungeons
Handpainted models
real grass
rocks of daggerfall + location loader
windmills of daggerfall

Also here's my system Specs:
GTX 1060 3gb
i5 7400
8gb ram
1TB HDD

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For testing purposes, please remove all (don't just disable) mods and start a new test character. Ideally create a clean install of DFU in a separate folder.

When setting up DFU, please ensure you've used the recommended DaggerfallGameFiles method. Then we're all on the same page for testing purposes.

Ideally, your test install of DFU will be setup like so:
  1. Unzip DaggerfallGameFiles somewhere like C:\Games\Daggerfall
  2. Unzip Daggerfall Unity somewhere else like C:\Games\Daggerfall Unity\0.10.27 (match version used)
I'd also recommend deleting your settings.ini and when the game asks for a data folder, point it to the location you unzipped DaggerfallGameFiles in step 1 above. Even if you're already using DaggerfallGameFiles, it's a good idea to remove settings.ini to ensure everything is cleanly configured and any possible mistunings are removed.

Cheers!

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

vini1264 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:53 am Hi again, when a new area is loaded the game starts to act like it's skipping frames, and also the music starts to lag with this as well, this remains until I use fast travel to a new area, with this the weird frameskip/stuttering stops. Also I don't use DREAM in my playthrough, here's my mod layout:

The airships mod
Enhanced Sky
Birds in daggerfall
mountains and hills
Splat terrain texturing
persistent dungeons
Handpainted models
real grass
rocks of daggerfall + location loader
windmills of daggerfall

Also here's my system Specs:
GTX 1060 3gb
i5 7400
8gb ram
1TB HDD

Hi, these loading stutters are caused by too high draw distace of the terrain. I guess you have set it on 4, so set it to 2 and it will be 2 times faster. Or try 1... its still 100x better distance than original...

Also, grass draw distance is the same story. It generates the grass (and above mentioned terrain) every time you move to next tile. If you max out the grass distance, this is what you get. Set it to 50% max...

Splat terrain texturing is known to be performance heavy. Especially if you have reflections enabled. Try disabling it and see what you get.

Also, you seem to have HDD and not SSD, which will make everything even worse.

Most likely, there is nothing wrong with the game, but your game setup is not too good atm.

Ultimately, faster CPU will make this loading/streaming-in faster as well..