Desert temple 061 does not have night emission of windows

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
King of Worms

Desert temple 061 does not have night emission of windows

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, the monks in desert temples have run out of candles.

Ive created a emission map manually, it semi-works but problem is, its stays ON even during the day, when the lights should turn off. So the day/night switch is not working here. This is apparent because the light is not yellow during night and blue during day, its just white, same as provided emission map.
SAVE5.rar
(106.88 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
Would be cool if standard day/night switch was enabled here :)
DaggerfallUnity 2020-12-06 23-16-35.jpg
DaggerfallUnity 2020-12-06 23-16-35.jpg (1.71 MiB) Viewed 676 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:39 am, edited 4 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: Desert temple 061 does not have night emission of windows

Post by King of Worms »

Main quest areas:
Woodborne Hall (texture 151) - same issue. No lights at night.
Orsinium (texture 154) - Same issue

When provided with the emission map, the lights stay ON indefinitely even during the day (thats logical - the emission map just shines but has no day/night switch)

Save to Woodborne Hall
SAVE176.rar
(257.39 KiB) Downloaded 59 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:49 am, edited 8 times in total.

pango

Post by pango »

That looks similar to this issue, but I don't know if that's the same cause...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

pango wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:10 am That looks similar to this issue, but I don't know if that's the same cause...
Hi, its the same issue right. I went there to test is and its same.

The day/night switch does not apply on such a windows.

Since this happens also on the modded windows, I dont think this is caused by the palette code not working in vanilla.

TEST:

When Ive broken the palette code on the modded window on a castle to test it(changing the window from grey to full dark) the day/night indeed stopped working and window stayed dark. BUT if I just provided the Emission map for the same window with broken palette code- it started to work properly again. Turning yellow at night and blue during the day.

So I think these reported windows do not work for some other reason, maybe they are not coded as windows somewhere else?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

x61 record 3 is definitely coded as a window. This will include 061, 161, 361, 461. I'll need to look into why some of these don't gain emission, but most likely the windows byte index isn't what the converter is expecting.

But you are absolutely correct about the Mages Guild in that older bug report. :D I missed x36 record 3, which is why the Mages Guild in earlier bug report doesn't gain emission. I've just fixed that one now. And also had to create a special case for TEXTURE.036 as window is at index 2 instead of 3 like everywhere else. Bloody Daggerfall...

Edit: Had a quick look at Woodborne. x51 isn't a general window, it's a special case at 151. Have another case at 351 for Wayrest, but no 051 or 451 window. But even when coded as a window, converter doesn't find any matching emission pixels (usually 0xff) for 151.

Edit2: Confirmed Woodborne 151 doesn't use index 0xff like it should. The window area is painted with index 0x7e... and so are other parts of the texture. Trying to use 0x7e to set emission will also result in some glowing brickwork. This one is a data issue. With that said, it's still possible for DFU to recognise this as a window and use a modded emission map, even if the classic art doesn't contain the correct index. I've added those items now. They won't show up in unmodded DFU, but DREAM should be able to mod them in 0.11.0+. Based on your comments above though, I'm not sure how well this is going to work. It sounds like the emission colour still isn't being set right for x61, and this one falls into the same category. I think we'll need to revisit this one later.

As usual, we're fighting different problems all over the place in those old assets. :)

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for looking at the issue,
it's still possible for DFU to recognise this as a window and use a modded emission map, even if the classic art doesn't contain the correct index. I've added those items now. They won't show up in unmodded DFU, but DREAM should be able to mod them in 0.11.0+
Great, I will report back when I can test it
Based on your comments above though, I'm not sure how well this is going to work. It sounds like the emission colour still isn't being set right for x61, and this one falls into the same categor
This is something which is best to be seen when its implemented, I will report on how the modded emission maps behave after updated DFU version is released :)

PS: Agreed the 1996 daggerfall is really messy, the more I see inside, the more its evident. But that adds to its charm and mystery :D What is perfect, can get boring. 1996 was wild at Bethesda. Yes. And they made the best TES game. Yes :)