Mouselook locks up after interacting with certain objects

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
imsobadatnicknames

Mouselook locks up after interacting with certain objects

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Idk if this is a regression that happened recently, as I don't remember it happening to me in earlier versions of the game (althought it might have been an issue back then and I just was lucky to never encounter it), but in 10.27 I've noticed that after interacting with certain special objects (specifically the ones that ask you to input text after interacting with them, like the lich statue in Shedungent and the guard at the entrance of Castle Daggerfall), sometimes my mouse cursor gets uncaptured and mouselook stops working, so my character gets stuck facing in one direction. It doesn't happen every time you itneract with them but I've seen it happen 3 or so times. The only fix so far seems to be to close the game and reload a save.

I can't really provide a save with the problem to verify, as reloading a save is what fixes the problem.
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Interkarma

Re: Mouselook locks up after interacting with certain objects

Post by Interkarma »

The "Activate Cursor" keybinding (Enter by default) should always toggle active mouse cursor between mouselook and pointing modes. Does pressing Activate Cursor not capture the mouse again?

I just tried with the guard in Daggerfall and Shedundent statue again and didn't experience mouse cursor becoming active after pressing enter on input. And using enter to toggle always captures/uncaptures mouse as intended.

Let me know if that helps or not. There might be some edge case here we need to work out exactly how to reproduce. :)

imsobadatnicknames

Post by imsobadatnicknames »

Interkarma wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:25 am The "Activate Cursor" keybinding (Enter by default) should always toggle active mouse cursor between mouselook and pointing modes. Does pressing Activate Cursor not capture the mouse again?

I just tried with the guard in Daggerfall and Shedundent statue again and didn't experience mouse cursor becoming active after pressing enter on input. And using enter to toggle always captures/uncaptures mouse as intended.

Let me know if that helps or not. There might be some edge case here we need to work out exactly how to reproduce. :)
Oops! I didn't even think about using the activate cursor keybinding lol. I feel dumb now. When it happened I just started opening and closing menus to see if it'd set the mouse cursor unactive when I exited them, and then decided to just close and restart the game.

Anyway, the game switching to pointing mode after activating these objects does seem to be some kind of weird edge case. I've been doing a lot of quests for the nobles of Daggerfall so I've been going back and forth A LOT between Castle Daggerfall and other places, and I've only seen it happen 3 times.
But now that you bring up the Activate Cursor keybind, I think the problem might be way less of a big deal than I was initially making it out to be. If at the moment I had remembered you could switch between both modes with a keybind that probably would have solved it :p
Released mods: https://www.nexusmods.com/users/5141135 ... files&BH=0
Daggerfall isn't the only ridiculously intrincate fantasy world simulator with the initials DF that I make mods for: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=177071.0

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I'll keep an eye on this while playing as well. Maybe a case of input fallthrough here toggling the cursor after pressing enter in the prompt.