Direnni Tower's moving wall can trap users [0.10.27]

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Direnni Tower's moving wall can trap users [0.10.27]

Post by pango »

Moving wall in Direnni Tower itself can capture and trap players behind it. (0.10.27)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGm2cpfwrGg&t=1m42s

In classic, player cannot get thru the tapestry, and is forced thru the moving wall instead.
Last edited by pango on Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Ralzar

Re: Direnni Tower's moving wall can trap users [0.10.27]

Post by Ralzar »

That’s happened to me and I assumed it was vanilla behaviour :D

pango

Re: Direnni Tower's moving wall can trap users [0.10.28]

Post by pango »

Still happens in 0.10.28
Ralzar wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 11:37 pm That’s happened to me and I assumed it was vanilla behaviour :D
I didn't remember it happening in classic, but I had to check what was happening exactly
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Excellent, this is how the trap is actually intended to work imo. I'd consider this trap to be functional in DFU and not in classic. Not changing it. :)

pango

Post by pango »

While pushing players over the ledge is an obvious role of this trap, soft locking the player inside a wall... is debatable.
It's not totally unheard of in Daggerfall though.
There's that case where you can get stuck between a rotating wall and an elevator, that under some condition both stop moving, and it's not clear that this was intended.
I can also think of some chutes you can only get out thru levitation or maybe good enough jump (say Scourg Barrow mummies chute).
So;.. okay.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

The space looks very much intended to trap the player. Otherwise why not just have a small recess for the moving wall to snugly fit inside of instead of a large space behind it?

And if the choice is between the player being pushed back through a banner or tunnelling through a brick wall, then the banner still makes more sense to me.

I really like this trap, it's incredible because it can kill adventures in either mode of action. I'm convinced this is the intended function.

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:04 am The space looks very much intended to trap the player. Otherwise why not just have a small recess for the moving wall to snugly fit inside of instead of a large space behind it?
That's a good argument...
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I remember watching that Fearful Pinata video the other day in front of the telly with a glass of wine. I might have cheered when the trap reset and sealed their fate. My wife wandered out from our office to see what I was watching, and just groaned and turned around again when she saw it was Daggerfall. Poor thing has been putting up with my Daggerfall obsession for decades now (we met around the time I was writing DF Jukebox). :lol:

On a more practical side of things, I originally excluded banners from collision tests because they can (ironically) trap player behind them. Some of them are placed so far out from the wall the player capsule was getting stuck between them and the wall. This might be less of a problem today as player capsule is a bit fatter and Unity's physics seem generally a lot better than in 4.x/5.x days. But it will be hard to test across all cases, and I generally prefer the banners to remain non-collidable.

If this was something we changed and made banners pysically collidable here, I'd still prefer player to be crushed between wall and banner rather than pop out the other side of a solid wall. Popping through seems more like a bug to me than player being trapped by an actual trap. :)

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Dec 13, 2020 12:36 am I remember watching that Fearful Pinata video the other day in front of the telly with a glass of wine. I might have cheered when the trap reset and sealed their fate. My wife wandered out from our office to see what I was watching, and just groaned and turned around again when she saw it was Daggerfall.
Haha, this might as well have been a description of my living room :D And cool to hear you're watching Fearful Pinata. I think he makes some of the best DFU playthrough videos I've seen. Funny and concise.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, he's entertaining and a fast player, and those videos aren't too long. Around 30 minutes is the perfect break time for me.