MQ broke. Lhotun offers no quest.

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Ralzar

MQ broke. Lhotun offers no quest.

Post by Ralzar »

I generally know what I'm doing in DFU so this surprised me a bit.

I made a character who traveled to Wayrest, and did the foll.owing in 0.10.27:

A bunch of Knight of the Rose quests to level up to lvl10ish.
Then Prince Helseths quest perfectly
Then Barenziahs quest. KoW version.
This probably cancelled Princess Morgiahs quest, but I didn't think to check at the time.
I then traveled to Daggerfall and I think I did the Abuk-i quests.
Then I take the Cyndessa quest and head to Betony.
Here I stop playing for a while.

Upgrade to 0.11.0 and continue:
Finish quest by killing werewolf.
Get Myniseras quest.
Find the NPC that tells me where the messenger will be,
Travel there, set recall anchor.
Travel to Sentinel to start missing prince quest.

However, Prince Lhotun just gives me the standard conversation window. I have the letter from him (and Princess Morgiah) but he has no quest for me.

I load back and do some other stuff in stead to make the time pass.
Complete quest and return to Mynisera.

Try to travel to Sentinel again. Still no quest from Lhotun.

I tried just using console commands to power through the Gortwog letter quest. Still not possible to get the quest from Lhotun but triggered Mantella Revealed quest.

Checked my reputations in the save file.

14 rep with Lhotun.
17 with Sentinel
9 with Court Of Sentinel

I suspect perhaps that completing the Barenziah quest cancelled both Morgiahs and Lhotuns quests?

Savefile included.
SAVE21.zip
(629.46 KiB) Downloaded 74 times

Interkarma

Re: MQ broke. Lhotun offers no quest.

Post by Interkarma »

Looking at your save data for quest Sx999 (MQ backbone) and the trigger conditions for Sx001 to begin, the task S.00 "when Prince_Lhotun is available" has the following properties.

Code: Select all

"prevTriggered": true,
"dropped": true,
The above means that S.00 has been previously triggered and later unset (permanently dropped). The only code block that unsets this task is the same one initiating Sx001 "Missing Prince" in backbone.

Code: Select all

_S.40_ task:
	when _S.00_ and _S.14_ and _S.15_ 
	start quest 1 1 
	unset _S.00_ 
S.00 means Lhotun is available, S.14 means Lhotun rep >=0, and S.15 means level >=5. You satisfy all conditions and "unset _S.00_" appears to have been called. So it would appear that Sx001 "Missing Prince" should have started normally.

Barenziah's quest shouldn't have any impact here, these quests run as separate branches of MQ backbone. A quest can't directly cancel another, only interfere indirectly using global variable state or removing/muting an NPC.

I don't have anything further to go on at this time. I'll just have to loop back when I can to try and divine something further from your save. Thank you for detailed memory dump of game process to date, it could be helpful.

Ralzar

Post by Ralzar »

Hm okay. Damn, it's a shame I had a big pause in the middle of this character. It makes me doubt if I somehow refused the quest. But I can't understand why I would do that. And the plan was all along to do Daggerfall first.
I might try this out again with a new character and see if it was just some kind of once-off bug.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Refusing quest is one way this set of conditions could arise, even if not intentional. Unfortunately there's no state logged or penalty for reusing this one, so it's hard to say either way with any real confidence. :(

Azdul

Post by Azdul »

I'm in similar situation - I have letter from Lhotun, but he would not offer the quest.
It seems that "dropped" flag is set to "true" in "QuestData.txt".

What makes it really weird, I've just finished "Wayrest Painting" quest.

I remember receiving letters from prince Lhotun and queen Akorithi within few days / hours from each other. I've decided to do quest for queen first, and then go back to prince.

Maybe installing quest fixes from Daggerfall Setup 16.1 messed something up ?

Anyway, I'm attaching my save game.
Attachments
SAVE56.zip
(433.19 KiB) Downloaded 62 times