-

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 am, edited 4 times in total.

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.0 Beta] Daytime Outside Lighting TOO Bright

Post by Interkarma »

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:49 pm DFU daytime outside lighting is far too bright compared to Vanilla DF
That's a valid criticism. The lighting in a modern PBR engine is rather difficult to match to a bygone software engine from the 90s because those old assets weren't built with PBR in mind. Without the right assets to fulfil the lighting model (i.e. normal and specular maps in addition to albedo), surface lighting often won't behave as desired. This isn't an easy solve using old assets, but I agree it could be better.

This is also complicated by ad-hoc material replacement. DFU has to support anywhere from 0% to 100% modded materials, and has to handle both kinds of materials side-by-side under the one lighting model. That's no easy task and there will always be some compromises here.

There is still a lighting review in the beta pipeline when we move from gamma to linear lighting. This will require a complete rework of all lighting in the game, and I'm more than happy to take this kind of feedback on board when that happens. To formalise this for you, I've added it to the beta roadmap now.

Lokkrin Zhataros wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:49 pm and also doesn’t match or adapt to the current weather like it does in Vanilla.
However, this statement is not factual. DFU absolutely adapts to weather and lighting conditions based on time of day, season, and weather. You can confirm this either by reviewing source or by using set_weather n from console (where n is a value between 0 and 6). Take note of how brightness and skybox change based on weather settings.

Your two screenshots are displaying different weather events. This is based on deterministic percentages and DFU might not "roll" the same weather event when importing a classic save. I also have a feeling weather rolls aren't triggered after classic import, I'd need to check. In any case, you'll need to set weather manually in console to match when attempting to make comparisons like this.

Here is DFU in roughly the same spot at midday (brightest time of day) while raining. Note the different skybox and lighting setup. This screenshot would have been a better example of rainy day lighting compared to your classic screenshot. The issue is nowhere near as bad as you presented it above.

dfu-weather.jpg
dfu-weather.jpg (295.67 KiB) Viewed 829 times

Lokkrin Zhataros

-

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

-
Last edited by Lokkrin Zhataros on Wed May 26, 2021 3:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

King of Worms

Re: [0.11.0 Beta] Daytime Outside Lighting TOO Bright

Post by King of Worms »

Thanks for adding it to roadmap :)

For me the issue is the brightness during the midday when its not raining, Im sure Ive already made a post about it and it was discussed before. At that midday time the game looks way too bright and it kills the mood. My estimate is, that if u reduce the light at that time of day to match the brightness of three hours before/after that, it will look good. Thats quite a lot. But thats why it looks so off now... just my opinion. Every reduction of brightness during midday will help.

Thank you, looking forward to the linear light as well