Soundtrack problem

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Aegis

Soundtrack problem

Post by Aegis »

I did a clean install for daggerfall unity but the soundtrack doesn't play at all in the game (I tried it for 2-3 hours). The weird thing is, all the other sound effects seem normal (intro, effects, dynamic sounds etc.). it feels like I'm making a simple mistake but I cannot understand what I am doing wrong.

https://ibb.co/TMdZNHj
https://ibb.co/mXcqj4x

pango

Re: Soundtrack problem

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, Aegis!

Does that happen if you run the game as Administrator, or install the files elsewhere than below C:\Program Files ?

If it still doesn't fix the issue, maybe the Player.log file will reveal something... ("finding player.log")
You may zip it and attach it to a post here for analysis.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Aegis

Post by Aegis »

First of all I want to thank you for welcoming and trying to help.

I did a few things in line with what you said. I tried starting it as administrator, it did not work. Thereupon I completely uninstalled the game from computer, including Daggerfall Workshop files in the appdata. This time I have installed to disk D. (I used the latest files available for installation: Beta 0.11.1 and DaggerfallGameFiles.zip) but the problem recurred.

I'm adding the output_log file here. Looks like a fairly detailed document, hope this helps.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1J4Pr2N ... sp=sharing

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks for providing log! Just a headsup, you can also attach images and .zip files to the forum using the "attachments" tab when making a post.

Your error at startup is caused by failing to load SoundFont.

Code: Select all

Exception: Invalid soundfont. Could not find RIFF header.
If you haven't changed the SoundFont settings at all, the best I can suggest is that you might not have unzipped the game fully and are missing some critical data files. Please download Daggerfall Unity again and unzip to a new folder, ensuring you unzip all subfolders and their contents as well.

When extracted fresh, The Daggerfall Unity 0.11.1 zip for Windows x64 has 507 files and 32 folders (including parent folder, with no other changes).

The DaggerfallUnity_Data folder should be fully populated like below, including stuff in the subfolders.

If you can please confirm all files and folders are present first, then we'll move onto other troubleshooting.

DaggerfallUnity_Data Folder.JPG
DaggerfallUnity_Data Folder.JPG (81.71 KiB) Viewed 1066 times

Aegis

Post by Aegis »

Thanks for your message. I've verified all the files for the game and I could not find an error. Then I re-downloaded the unity and daggerfall packages, despite a zip error. Unfortunately, this solution did not work. I also created the master files using DaggerfallSetup-2.16.1. The problem does not seem to be caused by the files.

I've attached a photo that shows the files.
Attachments
5.png
5.png (255.36 KiB) Viewed 1040 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Well this is a new one. Thanks for your patience and helping with information. :)

Does everything else appear to be working properly? For example, do quests start and seem to work? I'm now trying to determine if problem is loading from built-in Resources or if this is limited to just loading SoundFont from Resources.

If everything else is working, I wonder if installing a music mod like Pango's OST on OPL-3 helps workaround the problem for now. This mod uses .ogg music instead of .mid, so should bypass issue with loading SoundFont.

Aegis

Post by Aegis »

I completed the duel quest. Also as I said, there is no problem with the sound effects. I think the game is fully playable.

Now i downloaded Pango's mod, everything seems to work normal. Moreover, it was a very nice work, close to the Heberling's original work. Thank you for your help.

But in the first place, wonder what caused the problem. Is it something hardware related?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Good to hear we have a workaround at least. :)

DFU has a software synth only, and problem appears to be with loading .sf2 SoundFont file. This shouldn't be hardware related.

I'm wondering is this is related to region settings and loading that file. We're using an integrated open source software synth which handles loading SoundFont - possibly a problem in there somewhere.