[0.11.1] Broken Witch Quests

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Tunro

[0.11.1] Broken Witch Quests

Post by Tunro »

Made this reddit post yesterday
https://www.reddit.com/r/daggerfallunit ... ged_quest/

Copy of the below text, together with some screenshots and
the save files are in the attached zip file.

Beta v 0.11.1

Problem: Quest Choosing option does not work on the witches quests

Problem: Recieving quests which are supposed to have rep requirnments

Quest: A Great Errand
Problem: None of the witches names matches the questgiving witch,
causing there to be no one to hand it in to

Quest: The Daedra's Heart
Problem: Dungeon contained orcs and animals, so no daedra heart
could be aquired
Attachments
Tamarilyn Witches.7z
(1.45 MiB) Downloaded 80 times

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.1] Broken Witch Quests

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Tunro, welcome to the forums. :)

For support with a quest, please create a single topic with a single save demonstrating the issue you're having with that quest. I had to hunt through 5 different saves on 2 different characters just to find which one had which quest active.

I found Daedra Heart quest active on character "Psylia Gaeor" in save name "t03". This quest asks you to travel to "Old Vannorya's Place" in Menvia and get a heart from the daedra which spawn there. The type of dungeon it sends you to doesn't matter. This quest spawns the enemies you need over time directly from the quest script. All you need to do is spend time in the correct dungeon until the appropriate foes spawn around you. The enemies in this quest are created by quest script with the following times and chance ratios.

Code: Select all

create foe _seducer_ every 15 minutes 7 times with 10% success 
create foe _F.03_ every 20 minutes 6 times with 30% success 
create foe _firedaedra_ every 18 minutes 5 times with 25% success 
create foe _daedroth_ every 12 minutes 5 times with 20% success 
After loading your save, I went to "Old Vannorya's Place". The quickest way to make timed enemies like this spawn is to clear a little then rest until the enemy spawns. I rested for a few hours and a couple of daedra found me.

daedra.png
daedra.png (380.75 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

Killing them yielded the heart you need.

heart.jpg
heart.jpg (222.74 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

This quest is operating perfectly as scripted, and I was able to complete OK from here.

handin.jpg
handin.jpg (128.33 KiB) Viewed 1276 times

It's getting late here. I'll loop back and answer your other questions when I can. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

For the quest "A Great Errand" [Q0C10Y00], I found this active on character "Elayla" in save name 104.

I can confirm the _qgiver_ name doesn't match any of the witches in the coven, and you are unable to hand in to any of them.

Clearing and starting it again, I was able to play through it normally and hand-in. However, there was still an issue with name not matching. I'm not sure why this isn't triggering in the save you provided. My hunch is it's possibly an issue with NPC identification. Each NPC's unique ID is generated from several data points, including local transform. It's possible that changing terrain sampler or even floating origin can disrupt this for NPCs standing out in the open rather than inside a building.

I'll investigate this further when I can and raise a bug report once the cause is known.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Tunro wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 am Problem: Quest Choosing option does not work on the witches quests
Not sure on this one. Maybe not implemented for witch covens yet, or it's not a supported faction for quest lists? I don't know the answer off the top of my head. This feature was implemented by Hazelnut, maybe he'll be able to give us some details if he notices this topic. Otherwise, I'll dig through code later and find the cause.

Tunro wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 am Problem: Recieving quests which are supposed to have rep requirnments
I can confirm your rep with "The Tamarilyn Witches" [ID 422] is 0 with that character. From your FactionData.txt in save.

"name": "The Tamarilyn Witches",
"rep": 0,
As per UESP and our QuestList-Classic.txt, the min rep for this quest is 40.

Q0C4XY04, Witches, N, 40, X, Passed
This would be a good one for Hazelnut or Ferital to help with if they're able to. Again, I don't know the answer off the top of my head, and I'm about to sign off for the evening. If nobody is able to help overnight, I'll step through the code when I can to see why this quest is selected at 0 rep.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Interkarma wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 am
Tunro wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 am Problem: Quest Choosing option does not work on the witches quests
Not sure on this one. Maybe not implemented for witch covens yet, or it's not a supported faction for quest lists? I don't know the answer off the top of my head. This feature was implemented by Hazelnut, maybe he'll be able to give us some details if he notices this topic. Otherwise, I'll dig through code later and find the cause.

Tunro wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:28 am Problem: Recieving quests which are supposed to have rep requirnments
I can confirm your rep with "The Tamarilyn Witches" [ID 422] is 0 with that character. From your FactionData.txt in save.

"name": "The Tamarilyn Witches",
"rep": 0,
As per UESP and our QuestList-Classic.txt, the min rep for this quest is 40.

Q0C4XY04, Witches, N, 40, X, Passed
This would be a good one for Hazelnut or Ferital to help with if they're able to. Again, I don't know the answer off the top of my head, and I'm about to sign off for the evening. If nobody is able to help overnight, index.phpI'll step through the code when I can to see why this quest is selected at 0 rep.
The listing of quests is only implemented for guilds, and the witches are not an actual guild in the game. That is why I called the option is called "Guild Quest Lists". It could be specially implemented for covens as well, but it's not anywhere near as common that players take coven quests so not sure if it's worth doing. Anyway, it's working as it should be right now.

I'll need to take a look at the rep issue to say more. My first instinct is that it's a different faction id that's being checked or something.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Hazelnut, I really appreciate the help. :)

No problems here if covens don't support quest lists. If this question comes up again, I'll be able to answer correctly. Cheers!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Okay so the rep issue is my fault, when I added witch quest dispensing I neglected to spot an assumption made when I wrote the quest list manager which doesn't hold for witches. That's because they are a guild, as in they have a guild group, but not a joinable one. Non-member quests are not gated by rep for any normal joinable guilds. This allows players with negative rep to get nonmember quests to improve rep to 0 so they can join.

I'll submit a PR with a fix soon.

I thought Vampires were the same, and I suspected the same issue but all their quests are member quests and player join via an initiation quest so I guess not. However in VampirismEffect when it gets guild quests it asks for non-member quests... which will not match any of the quests defined in the quest list. I don't have any saves for testing this, but I think that the vampire quests should all have 'N' rather than 'M' in the list.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the fix! :)

You're right about vampires, someone reported those quests were not firing a little while ago. I resolved by setting MembershipStatus.Member when calling QuestListsManager.GetGuildQuest() for vampire quests.

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... 88216de2f4

It works OK this way (vampires are always a member of Vampires), but if you'd prefer to change this to non-member, I don't mind either way so long as the quests trigger when called from VampirismEffect.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Ah, didn't have that fix in the code on my laptop I was looking at. Yes, that's good. Vampires you do join, but never rank up at all. Covens don't even have a join option.

It would be relatively easy for a mod to flesh out the vamps into a guild with ranks etc, though I don't know how appropriate an organised hierarchy would be.