[0.11.1] Fall damage with successful Rappel

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
13thsyndicate

[0.11.1] Fall damage with successful Rappel

Post by 13thsyndicate »

So, this is an odd one. I've been doing a lot of climbing-focused characters recently, and I've noticed that sometimes, when I enter Rappel mode going down a surface, when I reach the bottom, there's some slight lag on the dismount, and then I take a massive amount of damage, like I fell all the way from the top of the thing I just climbed down. This has occasionally been fatal for my character. It seems random - I haven't really been able to figure out how to reproduce it reliably, though I've noticed that if, after I enter "rappel mode", the game then says I enter "climbing mode" after, and climb all the way down normally, the bug doesn't happen.

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.1] Fall damage with successful Rappel

Post by Interkarma »

A successful rappel will transition into "climbing mode" immediately after you've backed over the edge. If you don't see "climbing mode" right after backing over the edge then your feet aren't close enough to a wall after rappel.

This will typically happen when backing over roofs with eaves - anything with an overhang that sticks out beyond the wall itself. Sometimes you can work through this by releasing and re-engaging S at just the right moment during rappel to stick to the wall. It's tricky to time though, and doesn't work with larger overhangs.

You'll find you might not be able to climb downwards from overhangs that you can easily climb upwards over. I like the asymmetry - it's easier to pull yourself up with hands than it is to find good purchase with your legs dangling a couple feet away from the wall. On the other hand, players might expect this to be equally easy in both directions.

In any case, randomly free-form climbing over geometry is tricky business. It really only works at all with the fairly boxy planar surfaces in Daggerfall's default geometry. Models with any detail will break it all kinds of ways. This is why you don't see free-form climbing in modern games, or the game is specifically optimised for climbing in certain places (e.g. ladders, trellises, stone walls and other climbing enablers that are actually designed by hand). I don't see this gaining much more support or attention in DFU than it already has now.