Shortcomings with conjured arrows

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
pango

Re: Shortcomings with conjured arrows

Post by pango »

Maybe not retro 320x200 and large HUD, but in this case he plays with large HUD on...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

pango

Post by pango »

Interkarma wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:38 pm I wonder if rather than multiple stack of arrows with different TTLs, if the conjured arrows should instead always stack with each other and reset the stack TTL with latest cast. This saves the inventory being cluttered with multiple arrow stacks, and user is just "topping up" their stack occasionally.
TTL granularity being one magic round, the clutter is limited to (conjured arrows lifetime in number of magic rounds) stacks maximum: stacks with the same number of rounds are merged; And given they'll all vanish eventually, creating tons of conjured arrows isn't even a good strategy, you'd better limit yourself to the number of arrows you'll have time to shoot with the bow. So I doubt clutter is a real problem in practice.

On the other hand, being able to reset the TTL of arrows by conjuring some more can be seen as a small favor to the players, and for this reason I'm not against the idea. Basically, what you're asking for is a gameplay modification. Interface should have a way to convey that your stack of conjured arrows is about to expire though, so player can decide if (s)he wants to refresh the stack or let it vanish. Have the arrow counters blink for the last 2 rounds, like buff icons, or something. Doesn't look totally trivial.

I'd also have to go to the drawing board though, because I wrote this code weeks ago now, and forgot the details...
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Those are fair points. I was also hoping to save you some complexity rather than add to it, so please consider my idea moot. :)

I'm happy with your changes as-is then. I'll give it one more pass and merge ahead of next builds.