[0.11.1, Win] Opening Menus Causes Right Stick Issues

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Arist0brat

[0.11.1, Win] Opening Menus Causes Right Stick Issues

Post by Arist0brat »

Hey! New here, and definitely enjoying it! This project is pretty amazing, I was super shocked that I hadn't seen it before.

I found what I believe to be a bug in the 0.11.1 build for Windows 64-bit. When opening menus and navigating them using the right joystick, closing these menus sometimes causes the right joystick to continue on as if the menu hadn't been closed... this means that cursor/joystick FOV movement stops working, and the only fix I've found is to shut down DFU and start it again.

The issue should (hopefully) be easily replicable, assuming it's not my machine. I've done this both with and without mods installed, and on a fresh install. All that you would need to do to replicate this is:
1. Open a menu using a controller (I've had this happen most consistently with the Pause/Advanced Controls and Character Sheet)
2. Interacting with the menu while still using a controller. I haven't done quite enough testing to prove this, but interacting with buttons and items within the menu appears to be a trigger for this bug to occur.
3. Close the menu-- you should notice that the blue cursor is still on the screen, preventing cursor/joystick FOV movement.

I went through this portion of the forum as well as the bug reports and wasn't able to find mention of this anywhere, I apologize if this came up already! I didn't include a save file, as it doesn't seem to be save file specific.

Interkarma

Re: [0.11.1, Win] Opening Menus Causes Right Stick Issues

Post by Interkarma »

Hey Arist0brat welcome to the forums! :)

I haven't encountered this one yet. As a quick test, could I please ask you to increase controller deadzone in DFU's joystick settings? You'll find this in Pause menu > Controls > Joystick > Deadzone.

Try increasing 0.1 at a time and see if issue continues. This just rules out microsignals from a sensitive thumbstick or similar.

deadzone.jpg
deadzone.jpg (163.13 KiB) Viewed 769 times

Arist0brat

Re: [0.11.1, Win] Opening Menus Causes Right Stick Issues

Post by Arist0brat »

Hey! I'm really sorry about the late reply, work has been crazy lately. I've done as you said and increased the deadzone, and oddly enough it works... temporarily. What ends up happening is that after I close the menu it DOES revert back to a crosshair, but the moment I open another menu and interact, and then close it again, the problem pops up. I tested this with all deadzone levels and still had the same issue in the end. At least I know how to "reset" the cursor, now.