Torch seemingly not working and dungeone lighting not changing

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Jermaphobe

Torch seemingly not working and dungeone lighting not changing

Post by Jermaphobe »

I have all of the lighting settings turned down to 0 and item based player torch under the Enhancements tab but I see no visual difference. Torches do not seem to emit a light for the player and dungeons look the same as with all the light settings turned up to 1.0. It works in the worldspace, Gothway Garden is near pitch black at night now, no issue there. I tested this with vanilla and with my mods, and nothing seems to change, am I missing something? I'm on the latest version of DF Unity, v0.11.2

pango

Re: Torch seemingly not working and dungeone lighting not changing

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, Jermaphobe!

"Player torch light" is the intensity of player's torch, no matter whether it's one you get by default (Item based player torch = false) or a light source item you're carrying and using (item based player torch = true).
So, to get a darker ambience and make light source items actually useful, you have to
  • Lower dungeon ambient light and night ambient light, down to 0 if you want but that's not required (I use 0.2 and 0.3 but YMMV);
  • Keep player torch light high, depending on how effective you want your torch to be.
  • Enable Item based player torch
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

Teralitha

Re: Torch seemingly not working and dungeone lighting not changing

Post by Teralitha »

if you have the player torch light setting at zero then nothing you use for a personal light source will have any light.