How to cap framerate

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
rcsverige

How to cap framerate

Post by rcsverige »

So I just installed daggerfall unity and went in to play. The only problem I have is that the frame rate is over 700 and I would prefer that my computer doesnt sound like a jet. How would I go about capping the frame rate to around 60? Is it possible to just go into Nvidia control panel to cap the frames? Thanks for any help.

pango

Re: How to cap framerate

Post by pango »

Welcome to the forums, rcsverige!

Simplest way should be to enable "Vertical Sync" in the main screen of the launcher.

There's also a setting in settings.ini (in the Persistent Data Path),

Code: Select all

[Video]
TargetFrameRate=0
that you can modify to use a different rate than your screen vertical refresh rate.
Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

rcsverige

Post by rcsverige »

Thats the problem. I cant find the .ini file and when I enable "Vertical Sync" in game it does nothing because I continue to experience 700 plus fps. I have looked for the .ini everywhere I can but it is nowhere to be found. Am I supposed to have the Daggerfall Unity Workshop? When I clicked on the persistent data path link I followed the locations but still couldnt find the .ini.

XJDHDR

Post by XJDHDR »

That's strange because the INI file is definitely in that folder:
DFU persistent data.png
DFU persistent data.png (18.49 KiB) Viewed 2518 times
I would say that you need to run the game at least once to generate this folder but you've already done that. All I can think of is that you're either looking in the wrong place or you have your appdata folder set to be hidden.

Guitarron

Post by Guitarron »

The monitor on my laptop refreshes at 240 Hz. I use Rivatuner Statistics Server to set my frame rate for Fallout 4 to 70 fps so everything isn't moving at warp 10 (which also keeps the cooling fan from running at warp 10). I don't have an issue with DFU running at 240 fps on my laptop so haven't tried it on DFU. You might want to give that a try. It's free software.

Guitarron

Post by Guitarron »

I added DFU to Rivatuner and it works with DFU. I had Rivatuner set to drop my frame rate to 60 fps when DFU was activated and it dropped my frame rate from 240 to 60.