Got the same quest to the same location 3 times in a row

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Tamalak

Got the same quest to the same location 3 times in a row

Post by Tamalak »

Hi all,

For the third time in a row the Fighter's Guild in Merwark's Hollow has assigned me to retrieve a tiger pet ( https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Runaway_Pet )from Hawksley's Hold. I guess it's possible that RNG could have come up with that but I don't think so. Unfortunately my last quicksave was too far in the past from me to reload it and see if it really is stuck on tigers. I'd attach a save but I don't know where they are stored.

Interkarma

Re: Got the same quest to the same location 3 times in a row

Post by Interkarma »

Available quest pool depends on rank. You can refuse quests and keep trying for a different one, or enable quest lists in options to get a list of quests to select from quest givers.

For dungeon selection, the quest Runaway Pet requests "dungeon6" (natural cave). Depending on region, there may be a limited pool of natural caves. For example, Sentinel region has a pool of 20 whereas Lainlyn has only 1. Wayrest (where Merwark Hollow is) has a small pool of 4, so you're more likely to get the same few dungeons repeatedly on this quest. Link below has dungeon type count per region.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Dun ... _Locations

I'm open to exploring problems with random state before quest selection. If you can attach a save to a reply here, I'll be able to look into it using your character specifically. See post below for information on finding saves.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2360&p=27552#p27552

Tamalak

Re: Got the same quest to the same location 3 times in a row

Post by Tamalak »

Interkarma wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 8:50 pmWayrest (where Merwark Hollow is) has a small pool of 4, so you're more likely to get the same few dungeons repeatedly on this quest.
In my opinion, this explains the issue, with such a small pool of local quests. I'll post again here if I have any more issues with this but now I think it's probably RNG. Thanks!