[0.13.1] Aborted (Core Dumped) on Startup on Linux

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
dyskos

[0.13.1] Aborted (Core Dumped) on Startup on Linux

Post by dyskos »

Hello, I'm having trouble running Daggerfall Unity on my EndeavorOS install and am not quite sure what is happening, but trying to run the Daggerfall Unity x86_64 binary on my Linux (EndeavorOS, Arch-based) install leads to an "Aborted (Core Dumped)" message. I can't figure out what the cause is, as there are no --verbose options to give more info than that, and I'm not sure if there's something missing.

However, sometimes it does work, specifically when I feed it a command option. I don't think it matters what I feed it, but for some reason, when I give the binary "--help", it starts up and runs just fine. But only sometimes. Typically this works the first 2 or 3 times, but then after that, it won't work until I've restarted my computer.

As you can see:

Code: Select all

$> ./DaggerfallUnity.x86_64 --help
Set current directory to /home/dyskos/Programs/DFUnity
Found path: /home/dyskos/Programs/DFUnity/DaggerfallUnity.x86_64   	# works fine, I close the program

$> ./DaggerfallUnity.x86_64 
Found path: /home/dyskos/Programs/DFUnity/DaggerfallUnity.x86_64
Aborted (core dumped)							# DF Unity crashes

$> ./DaggerfallUnity.x86_64 --help
Found path: /home/dyskos/Programs/DFUnity/DaggerfallUnity.x86_64	# again, works fine, I close the program

$> 
I thought perhaps this was an issue with the 0.13.1 pre-release, however, I have confirmed that the binaries display this same behavior on previous versions, including the 0.12.X series. They all work just fine on my Windows machine.

I was unsure what the issue could be; I wanted to know if there were some libraries that Unity games need that perhaps aren't installed?

Some more info about my machine:
Dell Optiplex 7010 DT (no modifications, except an additional wireless NIC)
https://www.hardware-corner.net/desktop ... x-7010-DT/

Endeavor OS (Arch-based) 64-bit Linux, 5.10 Kernel
The file system is Btrfs, if that matters. This is the first time I've used it so even that is a factor I would consider.
Using Budgie Desktop on top of X window system.

Logs attached.
Attachments
Daggerfall_Unity.zip
My logs and info from the persistent data folder.
(9.48 KiB) Downloaded 59 times

Interkarma

Re: [0.13.1] Aborted (Core Dumped) on Startup on Linux

Post by Interkarma »

Hey dyskos, welcome to the forums. :)

I've not seen the below error from your logs before. Hopefully one of our resident Linux experts can provide more help.

[xcb] Unknown sequence number while processing queue
[xcb] Most likely this is a multi-threaded client and XInitThreads has not been called
[xcb] Aborting, sorry about that.
DaggerfallUnity.x86_64: xcb_io.c:269: poll_for_event: Assertion `!xcb_xlib_threads_sequence_lost' failed.
Caught fatal signal - signo:6 code:-6 errno:0 addr:0x3e8000073c9
Obtained 21 stack frames.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm unfortunately not the expert we need, but a quick search around gave me this result: https://forum.unity.com/threads/state-o ... x.1105207/

Documentation for Unity on Arch seems very, very sparse. I assume it's oriented towards Debian (I use Mint and have flawless performance), so that'd be a first step to try; perhaps an attempt in a Ubuntu/Mint virtual machine?

dyskos

Post by dyskos »

Interkarma wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:44 am Hey dyskos, welcome to the forums. :)
Hey Interkarma! New to the forum and I go by a different name these days, but we've crossed paths before on Twitter and Reddit. I'm the one that suggested the "walking backwards off a ledge to climb down" feature, suggested being able to disable movement acceleration, had that issue with water tiles being everywhere, and requested that jumping and gravity be made more accurate. :)

https://github.com/Interkarma/daggerfal ... ssues/1588
Interkarma wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:44 am I've not seen the below error from your logs before. Hopefully one of our resident Linux experts can provide more help.
I'm not sure what that means exactly, but I'll look into it later and get back if I find a solution. Perhaps there is something that is disabled by default that is usually enabled in other distros, as I know Daggerfall worked just fine in Solus (independent Linux).
Jay_H wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 9:01 am Documentation for Unity on Arch seems very, very sparse. I assume it's oriented towards Debian (I use Mint and have flawless performance), so that'd be a first step to try; perhaps an attempt in a Ubuntu/Mint virtual machine?
This is likely true, in that Unity targets Ubuntu. However, I know DF Unity works fine in Solus, which is another rolling distro with very new packages, and I think it worked in Manjaro (another arch-based distro) as well.

I'll test a few VMs later but I'd like to figure out if there's something to make it work on this install first if possible.

pango

Post by pango »

Mastodon: @pango@fosstodon.org
When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.
-- Charles Goodhart

dyskos

Post by dyskos »

Thanks! I downgraded my Mesa drivers to a last known good version (latest in 20.X series) with:

$ su -
# downgrade mesa
and rebooted.

Daggerfall Unity now works as expected! For all versions up to 0.13.1. This likely affects all Linux users using Mesa 21.X, so downgrading the drivers should fix the issue until the drivers get patched. I'll keep an eye on that issue and test it out once a patch is merged.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Nice save pango, and thanks for getting back to us on this! :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Yeah, thank you for coming to the rescue Pango. Happy this one got solved. :)