Need help with textures and Unity editor

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
quasifex

Need help with textures and Unity editor

Post by quasifex »

Hi everyone,
I've recently found about Daggerfall Unity during browsing Youtube and get interested to try myself at contributing something
to your project. I'm not a programmer but I have some basic skills as an artist and in 3d modelling. So, I think maybe I can help with textures and models. (BTW excuse me for my grammar. English is not my native language and I'm not particularly good at it so ask if something is not understandable.)

Right now I'm having problems with modding and testing the game in the Unity editor.

For a start, I'd wanted to add normal maps I've created based on hi-res textures you already have. But after placing the VMBlast textures nothing changes in game, I still have vanilla textures. My texture paths are like this: C:\Games\Dagerfall_Unity\DagerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures\TEXTURE.360\3-0_Normal.png. Am I doing it right?

Another issue I have is when I play the game in Unity editor it seems that moving doesn't work properly for me. For example, after starting the game, I can move normally but if I rotate 180 degrees back the controls become inverted. While pressing W I'm moving back, D - move left and so on. It's like I'm standing on a platform that do not rotates in the direction the player is facing. The "platform" is always facing north. Also I've noticed that hotkey for drawing weapon doesn't work in editor. In console I have these error messages:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.SetMelee
(DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.FPSWeapon target) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:258)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.ApplyWeapon () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:243)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.UpdateHands () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:221)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:82)

I managed to exit the first dungeon but after that fall in emptyness through terrain.
I'm using the last live build with Unity 2017.1.0f3 (64-bit). Maybe it is compatibility problems? Or maybe I need to do something with settings or scripts somewhere? I'm just new to Unity, don't know how it works.

TheLacus

Re: Need help with textures and Unity editor

Post by TheLacus »

Welcome!
quasifex wrote:C:\Games\Dagerfall_Unity\DagerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures\TEXTURE.360\3-0_Normal.png.
StreamingAssets\Textures\360_3-0_Normal.png

Link
quasifex wrote: I'm using the last live build with Unity 2017.1.0f3 (64-bit). Maybe it is compatibility problems? Or maybe I need to do something with settings or scripts somewhere? I'm just new to Unity, don't know how it works.
Yes, use 5.5.0f3 ;)

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

quasifex wrote:Hi everyone,
I've recently found about Daggerfall Unity during browsing Youtube and get interested to try myself at contributing something
to your project. I'm not a programmer but I have some basic skills as an artist and in 3d modelling. So, I think maybe I can help with textures and models. (BTW excuse me for my grammar. English is not my native language and I'm not particularly good at it so ask if something is not understandable.)

Right now I'm having problems with modding and testing the game in the Unity editor.

For a start, I'd wanted to add normal maps I've created based on hi-res textures you already have. But after placing the VMBlast textures nothing changes in game, I still have vanilla textures. My texture paths are like this: C:\Games\Dagerfall_Unity\DagerfallUnity_Data\StreamingAssets\Textures\TEXTURE.360\3-0_Normal.png. Am I doing it right?

Another issue I have is when I play the game in Unity editor it seems that moving doesn't work properly for me. For example, after starting the game, I can move normally but if I rotate 180 degrees back the controls become inverted. While pressing W I'm moving back, D - move left and so on. It's like I'm standing on a platform that do not rotates in the direction the player is facing. The "platform" is always facing north. Also I've noticed that hotkey for drawing weapon doesn't work in editor. In console I have these error messages:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.SetMelee
(DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.FPSWeapon target) (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:258)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.ApplyWeapon () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:243)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.UpdateHands () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:221)
DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.WeaponManager.Update () (at Assets/Scripts/Game/WeaponManager.cs:82)

I managed to exit the first dungeon but after that fall in emptyness through terrain.
I'm using the last live build with Unity 2017.1.0f3 (64-bit). Maybe it is compatibility problems? Or maybe I need to do something with settings or scripts somewhere? I'm just new to Unity, don't know how it works.
Look it the "more" section after the DL, you have to rename the pic's but someone's already done it.
go to the 25th page i think, DL the 7zip, and try that one, if you see me screenshots up there you're in the right place.
Check out my YouTube Channel!

quasifex

Post by quasifex »

Thanks, now I get it right. I've left the link for normal maps in VMBlast's mod thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=476&p=6186#p6186

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

quasifex wrote:Thanks, now I get it right. I've left the link for normal maps in VMBlast's mod thread.
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=476&p=6186#p6186
YAY ! :D
Check out my YouTube Channel!