What do I click to install this thing?

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Stalin Brando

What do I click to install this thing?

Post by Stalin Brando »

Hi, Daggerfall Modders!

I wanted to have a closer look at the fine work you people are doing returning Daggerfall to life. But I found myself HALT HALTing before I even got started.

I downloaded Unity from github but can't see anything attracting me to click on it, just a lot of random files. What exactly am I meant to do?

I understand there's a help me PDF, but it begins by just saying I should just launch Daggerfall Unity, ignoring this initial hurdle. I searched for this file name but just found a lot of META and PREFAB files, nothing that looks like an application.

Please help an ignoramus! Or is It deliberate? To keep the riffraff out?

In the root folder I can see these things:

Assets [folder]
projectSettings [folder]
.editorconfig
.gitignore
README.md

Sorry for any bluntness, I'm used to seeing a certain 'robustness' in dialogue on the Internet. I'm still surprised you're not all calling each other rude words.

Thanks friends.

TheLacus

Re: What do I click to install this thing?

Post by TheLacus »

Welcome to the forum! You can download Daggerfall Unity from here.

Gudadantza

Post by Gudadantza »

http://www.dfworkshop.net/projects/dagg ... ve-builds/

In the builds section they are ordered by date, download the most recent and install it in the folder you like. Inside Daggerfall unity you will select the folder where your daggerfall copy is installed to be detected.

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Hey SB, seem to recall you from way back on the Codex...

Anyway, what you downloaded was the codebase rather than a build. If you want to play rather than help create you should grab a build instead using the links already provided. :)
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

Stalin Brando

Post by Stalin Brando »

Thanks Hazelnut and others.

Yes, I am a famed Codexer.

I'd help out if I could, don't really have any computer skills. Hence this thread.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)
Stalin Brando wrote:Sorry for any bluntness, I'm used to seeing a certain 'robustness' in dialogue on the Internet. I'm still surprised you're not all calling each other rude words.
Interkarma's set up a great community here, which we all work to maintain each day. No big secret to it other than that :)

Narf the Mouse

Post by Narf the Mouse »

Download the zip folder for your OS, extract it to a folder of your choice in a location of your choice, and run "DaggerfallUnity.exe". No need to run an installer. ;)
Previous experience tells me it's very easy to misunderstand the tone, intent, or meaning of what I've posted. If you have questions, ask.