UI has vanished

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
hurddude

UI has vanished

Post by hurddude »

So i am trying out DFU and started my first game and i am missing my user interface but have all of this garbage on my screen. please see the picture to see what i mean. Looking for a way to remove the garbage text and bring back the games user interface. please help i want to play what has been done so far. thanks.

Jay_H

Re: UI has vanished

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums!

Daggerfall Unity doesn't yet use the classic Daggerfall "buttons" UI. It instead uses the Daggerfall full screen interface, which makes use of the Mouse Look option in the Daggerfall options.

To get rid of the quest information on the left, hold Shift and press Tab until it disappears.

hurddude

Post by hurddude »

TY for the quick reply and understanding. I will play all the way threw and report any problems/bugs i might find. Cant wait to see the final product. Cheers!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

No problem, and feel free to ask more questions. We want to help :)

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

hurddude wrote:So i am trying out DFU and started my first game and i am missing my user interface but have all of this garbage on my screen. please see the picture to see what i mean. Looking for a way to remove the garbage text and bring back the games user interface. please help i want to play what has been done so far. thanks.

please be positive in your critisism - when you use words as garbage this sounds really offending and negative. Not sure if you intended this but I just wanted to point out how it feels to me ;)
daggerfall unity is not complete right now and this debug information is used for debugging quests. you can toggle debug information with shift key + tab key

You may check the game out at a later time when classic UI is implemented so you are more satisfied then

Jolanxbl

Post by Jolanxbl »

Are there any mods that return it, or how difficult for me to add my avatar's face, and an icon to show the Interaction mode?

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums!

It isn't implemented yet and no mods have added it, so it'll have to wait for a future update.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Welcome. :)

I have not scheduled the one-quarter HUD on my Roadmap as yet. I personally do not like this interface and can't turn it off fast enough when starting a new game. This thread is honestly the first time I've seen anyone express a preference for it. :)

It's also a terrible match for modern systems as UI is designed to fit exactly into a 320x200 display. When displayed on a widescreen monitor or TV, the one-quarter HUD will by necessity become stretched (to keep full width) or sit isolated at centre-bottom of screen (to keep aspect ratio).

Anyway, I will add this option to roadmap soon, and have started a poll on Twitter to get an idea of how many people have a strong preference for the one-quarter HUD. The level of preference will determine where I place this on the roadmap. Currently this is sitting at 12% with a strong preference and 40% with a weak preference, both higher than I expected.

https://twitter.com/gav_clayton/status/ ... 9197672448

Al-Khwarizmi

Post by Al-Khwarizmi »

I have conflicting feelings about this. On the one hand, the hudless mode is better in the sense that you have more screen space. But I always found it too minimalistic to be honest, having to remember keys for interaction modes, etc. is a bit of a pain, and seeing my character's face is nice. So typically what I do is using the hudless mode most of the time, but returning to the HUD from time to time, hence I chose "sometimes".

Actually the best thing IMO would be some kind of middle ground: a HUD with smaller buttons, and perhaps arranged vertically for widescreens (I actually resist with my 4:3 screen from 2006, lol). Of course I'm not saying this should be in the core, but I hope it's modded at some point!