Missing Map & chat screens

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
chuckman006

Missing Map & chat screens

Post by chuckman006 »

I'm experiencing a missing world map (v) and NPC chat screens. It looks like this:Image

Something similar happens if I try to talk to an NPC. I double check to make sure correct path for arena2 folder each time and have tried different options and resolution sizes to see if it was that but same thing. Using current Dragonbreak #92 but have also had this on Vengeance.

Jay_H

Re: Missing Map & chat screens

Post by Jay_H »

Welcome to the forums! :)

What version did you install from? Bethesda, GOG, DaggerfallSetup, etc?

Are you running on Windows, Linux, or Mac?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for the report. In addition to Jay's question above, could you please reproduce then send me a copy of the output log. This will have more information about what's happening internally. You will find more information on this in the Bug Report Guidelines.

I'll move this back to bug reports once confirmed as a bug, opposed to a game data problem or some other issue.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

did you install any graphical gui replacements?

chuckman006

Post by chuckman006 »

I'm using the Bethesda website download version of daggerfall and Dragonbreak#92 of unity engine. I have no mods. Running on Windows 7. Attached is a save file for a new character created that has the issue with the map shown in pic.
SAVE1.zip
(215.8 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
Also clicking (m) for local map causes an in-escapable black screen but I thought i read somewhere on here that local map isnt working yet so no worries so much on that.

Sorry about the late response. Hopefully its something simple.

[edit: attached output_log.zip]
Attachments
output_log.zip
(5.18 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you for posting the save and output log, it's much appreciated! :)

Looking at your output log, here's the gist of the problem:

Code: Select all

Access to the path "C:\Program Files (x86)\Bethesda Softworks\Daggerfall\arena2\TRAV0I00.IMG" is denied.
For some reason, Daggerfall Unity is unable to open the required image files to display your interfaces correctly. This means your files possibly have NTFS permissions set, are missing, in a corrupt state, etc. This isn't a normal problem and is something on your end. Definitely a game-file problem.

Fortunately, it's very easy to resolve. The quickest resolution is just to download the DaggerfallGameFiles.zip from Live Builds and unzip it somewhere. Then point Daggerfall Unity to this set of game files instead. That should save you the hassle of troubleshooting the "access denied" problem to your current game files path if you're not comfortable doing that.

You could also try the DaggerfallSetup installer. There's a really good reason I recommend this one over the Bethesda download. The GOG version is also fantastic. :)

chuckman006

Post by chuckman006 »

On a weird hunch I selected "run in administrator mode" for the unity app and now everything works fine.

<facepalm> Can't believe it was something so simple! Thank you for the assist!!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Awesome, happy you were able to sort that. :)

I'll keep that outcome in mind in case someone else has a similar problem. Cheers!

siteseer

Post by siteseer »

sorry to bump a years old thread, but i just wanted to report i had a similar problem with daggerfall unity being denied access to the daggerfall/arena2/tfac00i0.rci npc portraits file. i was going a little crazy trying to find a solution when i finally tried searching for people with a similar but not same problem and this thread popped up. lo and behold giving the df unity shortcut 'run as administrator' privilege under the compatibility tab solved it.

that said, a big thanks to all who have contributed to df unity, you guys are great! i haven't touched daggerfall in twenty years but with unity so far along i'm right back in it. thanks again.