Map fragments

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
Aeuc

Map fragments

Post by Aeuc »

I'm still running around in live build #98 and I found what I'm calling for now a tavern fragment on the map of Eastbridge. There is no building under this fragment, it is over a street with a tree and the buildings adjacent to it are residences. This is the first occurrence I've seen so far, but I'll keep you posted. Hopefully, it's easy to remove the fragment. I took a photo to help pinpoint the fragment. I actually had a hard time trying to decide what to name the subject of this post, so feel free to change it to what sounds best. :)
Attachments
eastbridge_map_fragment.png
eastbridge_map_fragment.png (83.64 KiB) Viewed 3190 times

Aeuc

Re: Map fragments

Post by Aeuc »

I found this again in the town of Grayhead Hall, same tree there. I think somehow that tree is causing the tavern fragment on maps.
Attachments
grayhead_hall_map_fragment.png
grayhead_hall_map_fragment.png (76.28 KiB) Viewed 3182 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

thanks for reporting. interesting - will put that on the todo list

Midknightprince

Post by Midknightprince »

It's just how classic is.
If I find a bug (or something strange), I first check to see how it is in classic daggerfall...

Viola !
Attachments
classic map.jpg
classic map.jpg (427.45 KiB) Viewed 3168 times
Check out my YouTube Channel!

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

Midknightprince, yes, that fragment exists in the original.. there are many things in the original that were never fixed. If there is some way to remove the fragment to clean up the map, is all I was pointing out. It would look cleaner and there is obviously no tavern where that fragment is. I do run Daggerfall in Dosbox, I guess I should of double checked and referenced it before posting, but I didn't.. my bad. :oops:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

It's OK, thanks for reporting. :)

I generally don't consider artifacts from original game data as bugs in Daggerfall Unity (unless it turns into a game-breaking problem). There's no easy way to fix random issues like these, as users have to provide their own set of game files.

Maybe one day post 1.0, and if I have the green light for a standalone distribution, small glitches like this can be actively patched out of the bundled source data.

Aeuc

Post by Aeuc »

No problem. I'll continue my town to town running. I'm currently halfway finished with towns in the Daggerfall region then I'll move on to another region. It's taking some time, but seems the only way to be sure no shelves are skipped or buildings not being labeled on maps. I'll keep you posted on my progress. :)

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Cheers, that's a great way to catch little problems we've missed. Just keep doing your thing. :)