Pickpocketing rats and towns people

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
R.D.

Re: Pickpocketing rats and towns people

Post by R.D. »

Could be. To me it seems like the correct way for a fledgling thief to play is to be picking from townspeople and running from the guards, though 8-)

I think I may implement a setting with three values:
0 (default) = current behavior, you can pickpocket from townspeople and enemy classes. Same selection as early Daggerfall versions.
1 = you can also pickpocket from the other enemies. Same selection as later Daggerfall versions.
2 = you can pickpocket from townspeople, enemy classes, and enemies who it seems like you should be able to. I'm thinking: vampires, vampire ancients, giants, orcs, daedroths, daedra seducers (pre-transform), daedra lords, liches, ancient liches. Basically anything that looks like it might have a "pocket" or similar to pick from.

Another way to do it would be to allow pickpocketing for any opponent who carries gold, which would leave out animals, but it would include enemies who don't look like they have anything to pick from (nymphs, imps, skeletal warriors, etc.). But it would be kind of cool if it removed from the actual gold amount they carry. Maybe you could even pickpocket items like in later TES games.

It would also be nice if we could pick from flat NPCs in buildings, but this opens up new problems, like adding response from castle guards if you pickpocket someone in the castle, or disabling pickpocket from naked NPCs.

I generally have been avoiding adding design decisions beyond what classic has because these kinds of considerations come up, it affects game balance, other people might not agree with the decisions I make, and I think we should focus on getting classic's features in first. But yeah, I might add in some third setting here, no promises on anything, though.

Carlos Danger

Post by Carlos Danger »

I know you said "No promises" but considering a chief Daggerfall experience of mine was failing to pickpocket a werewolf outside of privateers hold, and then having random guards show up to defend that werewolf's rights. Like the country of Daggerfall's gonna defend the rights of loups. No lycanthrope rights activists here. And if you brought the werewolf to court and try and cross exam it, it will probably just eat the judge, baliff, and the prosecutor.

Edit: forgot to add the part where I say that a smarter pickpocket system would be nice.
"But that's like, your opinion, man."

D_Maoro

Post by D_Maoro »

This implementation of a flag that negates any further attempts to pickpocket a humanoid enemy in dungeons really cripples any hope to make the associated skill a worthwhile one, sure they may be paying a lot of attention to you but in the sense that they are fencing with you not checking their goldbags, If a guy starts hugging me in a bar fight i'm not checking my wallet I am trying to punch the guy and inflict pain to him as well as to not loose my balance.

Like I said being able to just try at humanoid enemies makes sense beacuse no animal/monster is carrying their spare change and their groserie list and sorry if this counts as necroing a dead thread but keeping it as it stands really makes any attempt to level the skill not worth the efort hope it gets reconsidered in the future.

Regnier

Post by Regnier »

D_Maoro wrote: Sun Nov 01, 2020 3:42 am This implementation of a flag that negates any further attempts to pickpocket a humanoid enemy in dungeons really cripples any hope to make the associated skill a worthwhile one, sure they may be paying a lot of attention to you but in the sense that they are fencing with you not checking their goldbags, If a guy starts hugging me in a bar fight i'm not checking my wallet I am trying to punch the guy and inflict pain to him as well as to not loose my balance.

Like I said being able to just try at humanoid enemies makes sense beacuse no animal/monster is carrying their spare change and their groserie list and sorry if this counts as necroing a dead thread but keeping it as it stands really makes any attempt to level the skill not worth the efort hope it gets reconsidered in the future.
Agreed. Imagine a high level pickpocket thief looking for loot in an orc stronghold. He comes into contact with the chief and 2 deadly guards.
Theyre met with a smile from the shadows as the thief swipes everything of value from them and disappears into the endless halls of the dungeon.

Or a group of bandits stop you on the road and demand you open your bag. Before they know it theyre all a lot lighter and only a slight ripple can be seen and the faintest footsteps can be heard disappearing into the night.

No need to kill. Get in and get out. For RP purposes