[Solved]16x inventory grid

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
delvisomanda

Re: 16x inventory grid

Post by delvisomanda »

If i understand correctly, i only need the INVE00I0.IMG texture? the INVE01I0.IMG, INVE02I0.IMG and INVE05I0.IMG aren't needed?

And the texture only works when compressed texture is enabled, when it's disabled doesn't work. Maybe it has something to do with the build you gave me to start translating the game. The build 100.
Currently translating Daggerfall into Spanish.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 pm If i understand correctly, i only need the INVE00I0.IMG texture? the INVE01I0.IMG, INVE02I0.IMG and INVE05I0.IMG aren't needed?
That's correct. And only need to update the base image, no need to account for the 16x grid yourself. This is all done automatically by slicing out other parts of the image and composing the new grid at runtime.
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 pm And the texture only works when compressed texture is enabled, when it's disabled doesn't work. Maybe it has something to do with the build you gave me to start translating the game. The build 100.
It's possibly a compatibility issue with CopyTexture() on your system. Taking a look at your output log, you're using a NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 card. This is an entry-level card released in around 2010, and likely it doesn't correctly support CopyTexture() even though the compatibility flag is set. Otherwise it would fallback to the old method still used by compressed textures.

I'll add an INI option to disable accelerated UI slicing. That way you can enable/disable this independently of texture compression. I'll put up some new builds for this soon. :)

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Interkarma wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:25 pm
delvisomanda wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:00 pm If i understand correctly, i only need the INVE00I0.IMG texture? the INVE01I0.IMG, INVE02I0.IMG and INVE05I0.IMG aren't needed?
That's correct. And only need to update the base image, no need to account for the 16x grid yourself. This is all done automatically by slicing out other parts of the image and composing the new grid at runtime.
I also have to use INVE01I0.IMG to do an appropriate inventory translation. And the coloring works fine, I just need that two textures.

Looks like the problem was my graphics card.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

delvisomanda wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am I also have to use INVE01I0.IMG to do an appropriate inventory translation. And the coloring works fine, I just need that two textures.
You're right. My apologies, I overlooked that.
delvisomanda wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:20 am Looks like the problem was my graphics card.
From next round of builds the copy acceleration will be disabled unless user turns on by setting "AccelerateUICopyTexture=True". This should make it work with these edge cases by default in future.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

Thank you. This is off-topic, and it's more for translation. I'm sure DFU has new text strings. Do you have plans for the future (long-term) to do a tutorial on how to edit them or an easy way to translate these texts?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I expect some more information and help around this will grow in the traslations forum here. Give it a little time to get rolling though.

For any "hard strings" (texts hardcoded into fall.exe) these are being ported by hand to a C# file for now. Later on, I plan to migrate this to a text file you can edit like the quests. Here's a breakdown of where everything can be found for now. Let me know if I've missed anything. Not everything can be edited at this time.
  • Classic: Arena2/TEXT.RSC - Most text strings are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/Books/* - All the book files are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/FACTION.TXT - All faction and individual names are seeded from here (text editor required)
  • Classic: Arena2/*.IMG, TEXTURE.*, *.CIF, etc. - All images with text are in here (can be replaced using Daggerfall Unity texture injection or by editing classic data files with a custom tool)
  • DaggerfallUnity: StreamingAssets/Quests - All quest files are here (text editor required)
  • DaggerfalUnity: StreamingAssets/Fonts - Pixel fonts used by Daggerfall Unity are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Unsupported: Cannot currently edit building name particles
  • Unsupported: Cannot current edit "hard strings" exported from fall.exe

Deepfighter

Post by Deepfighter »

For the sake of completeness:
Interkarma wrote: Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:41 am
  • Classic: Arena2/TEXT.RSC - Most text strings are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/Books/* - All the book files are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/FACTION.TXT - All faction and individual names are seeded from here (text editor required)
  • Classic: Arena2/*.IMG, TEXTURE.*, *.CIF, etc. - All images with text are in here (can be replaced using Daggerfall Unity texture injection or by editing classic data files with a custom tool)
  • DaggerfallUnity: StreamingAssets/Quests - All quest files are here (text editor required)
  • DaggerfalUnity: StreamingAssets/Fonts - Pixel fonts used by Daggerfall Unity are here (custom tool required to edit)
  • Unsupported: Cannot currently edit building name particles
  • Unsupported: Cannot current edit "hard strings" exported from fall.exe
  • Classic: Arena2/FALL.EXE - important file with a lot of variables, ingredients, weapons,... (custom tool required to edit with some limitations because of hardcoding)
  • Classic: Arena2/SPELLS.STD - Spell names (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/MAPS.BSA - Locations as well as inns, dungeon names (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/MAGIC.DEF - contains a number of magical items, both artifacts and those random magic items you find in dungeons and on quests as well as enchantments (custom tool required to edit)
    Classic: Arena2/MONSTER.BSA - creature names (custom tool required to edit)
  • Classic: Arena2/BIOGxxx.txt - biography questions during the character creation process (text editor required)
  • Classic: Arena2/FONTxxx.FNT - 4 fonts which can be used in DF (specific font editor has to be used)
(Don't know where to find them in DFUnity, but probably in the Arena2 folder right now.)
Head of the German Daggerfall translation - www.daggerfalldeutsch.de
and German translator for The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and Lore-Expert for The Elder Scrolls: Online

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thank you Deepfighter. :) Something to keep in mind is some of those locations are deprecated in Daggerfall Unity. For example, changing fonts and quests must be done in StreamingAssets, whereas TEXT.RSC must be edited in classic files. Translators will need to know which files to edit where.

We should prepare a more formal version of your list, indicating where items must be changed (Arena2 or StreamingAssets), pair with links to tools required, and tag items that are not yet editable in Daggerfall Unity. Perhaps this can be rolled into one of the sticky threads you're working on.

delvisomanda

Post by delvisomanda »

I don't think you understand what I asked. I was specifically asking for Daggerfall Unity's unique text strings (such as the initial menu, with mods, settings, etc). I don't know if there are any unique text strings in the game. I didn't play the classic version... I know it's sacrilege :lol:

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Not exposed to changes externally at the moment, sorry. It's something that will have to be done later.