Texture bug

Post here if you need help getting started with Daggerfall Unity or just want to clarify a potential bug. Questions about playing or modding classic Daggerfall should be posted to Community.
kingOfWyrms

Texture bug

Post by kingOfWyrms »

I've found while walking around that occasionally a texture on a wall will be messed up. Instead of a single texture, it will be the same texture squished into the wall side by side, or smeared. I noticed the smeared texture on a wall in Daggerfall City during winter, and the multiple textures squished in bug twice, once in Daggerfall City, and once at the inn just south of Sentinel City. Sorry if this is a known issue. Just thought I should mention it just in case.

edit: The smeared texture bug can be seen in the winter on the general store just outside Castle Daggerfall, first building on the left side of the road.

Interkarma

Re: Texture bug

Post by Interkarma »

G'day KingOfWyrms, welcome to the forums. :)

There are a few cases where the texture coordinates aren't parsed correctly by my importer code. The most noticeable of these are windows repeated too many times. I'll work on fixing these as I can. If you see a texture repeated (or squished) that's probably on my end.

There are are also several places where the texture coordinates are simply bad in the game data. A good example is the east side of Wayrest castle, the general shop near Daggerfall, and various hedges. These cases show up both in the game and in Unity, but are unfortunately far more noticeable in Unity due to the higher resolutions. If you see a texture that looks slanted or smeared, that's usually bad game data. This is harder to fix as it requires injecting the right texture coordinates for specific models as the data is being read. I will to sit down and work through all these problems over time.

Thank you for the bug report, I appreciate the feedback.

Kepling

Post by Kepling »

Found another occurrence, save text in spoiler:
Spoiler!
{
"header": {
"description": "Daggerfall Unity Save Game v1",
"$version": "v1"
},
"dateAndTime": {
"gameTime": 12597451551,
"realTime": 635835151408043976,
},
"playerData": {
"playerPosition": {
"position": {
"x": 513.489624023438,
"y": 163.341842651367,
"z": 396.435729980469
},
"yaw": 1817.52453613281,
"pitch": 4.94916343688965,
"isCrouching": false,
"worldPosX": 15487035,
"worldPosZ": 4570609,
"insideDungeon": false,
"insideBuilding": false,
"terrainSamplerName": "ProjectIncreasedTerrainDistance.ImprovedTerrainSampler",
"terrainSamplerVersion": 1,
"exteriorDoors": null,
},
"playerEntity": {
"gender": "Female",
"faceIndex": 5,
"raceTemplate": {
"ID": 5,
"Name": "High Elf",
"DescriptionID": 2006,
"ClipID": 213,
"PaperDollBackground": "SCBG04I0.IMG",
"PaperDollBodyMaleUnclothed": "BODY04I0.IMG",
"PaperDollBodyMaleClothed": "BODY04I1.IMG",
"PaperDollBodyFemaleUnclothed": "BODY14I0.IMG",
"PaperDollBodyFemaleClothed": "BODY14I1.IMG",
"PaperDollHeadsMale": "FACE04I0.CIF",
"PaperDollHeadsFemale": "FACE14I0.CIF",
"ResistanceFlags": "",
"ImmunityFlags": "Paralysis",
"LowToleranceFlags": "",
"CriticalWeaknessFlags": "",
"SpecialAbilities": "",
"$type": "DaggerfallWorkshop.Game.Entity.HighElf"
},
"careerTemplate": {
"Name": "Knight",
"AdvancementMultiplier": 0.790000021457672,
"HitPointsPerLevelOrMonsterLevel": 18,
"Strength": 60,
"Intelligence": 45,
"Willpower": 48,
"Agility": 50,
"Endurance": 49,
"Personality": 58,
"Speed": 45,
"Luck": 45,
"PrimarySkill1": "LongBlade",
"PrimarySkill2": "Etiquette",
"PrimarySkill3": "BluntWeapon",
"MajorSkill1": "Axe",
"MajorSkill2": "Archery",
"MajorSkill3": "ShortBlade",
"MinorSkill1": "Medical",
"MinorSkill2": "Dodging",
"MinorSkill3": "HandToHand",
"MinorSkill4": "Jumping",
"MinorSkill5": "Swimming",
"MinorSkill6": "Climbing",
"Paralysis": "Immune",
"Magic": "Normal",
"Poison": "Normal",
"Fire": "Normal",
"Frost": "Normal",
"Shock": "Normal",
"Disease": "Normal",
"ShortBlades": "Normal",
"LongBlades": "Normal",
"HandToHand": "Normal",
"Axes": "Normal",
"BluntWeapons": "Normal",
"MissileWeapons": "Normal",
"UndeadAttackModifier": "Normal",
"DaedraAttackModifier": "Normal",
"HumanoidAttackModifier": "Normal",
"AnimalsAttackModifier": "Normal",
"DarknessPoweredMagery": "",
"LightPoweredMagery": "",
"ForbiddenMaterials": "Daedric",
"ForbiddenShields": "",
"ForbiddenArmors": "Leather",
"ForbiddenProficiencies": "",
"ExpertProficiencies": "",
"SpellPointMultiplier": "Times_0_50",
"SpellPointMultiplierValue": 0.5,
"SpellAbsorption": "",
"NoRegenSpellPoints": false,
"AcuteHearing": false,
"Athleticism": false,
"AdrenalineRush": false,
"Regeneration": "",
"RapidHealing": "",
"DamageFromSunlight": false,
"DamageFromHolyPlaces": false
},
"reflexes": "Average",
"name": "jy",
"level": 1,
"stats": {
"Strength": 70,
"Intelligence": 55,
"Willpower": 52,
"Agility": 63,
"Endurance": 53,
"Personality": 62,
"Speed": 46,
"Luck": 50
},
"skills": {
"Medical": 23,
"Etiquette": 30,
"Streetwise": 6,
"Jumping": 13,
"Orcish": 5,
"Harpy": 6,
"Giantish": 6,
"Dragonish": 4,
"Nymph": 4,
"Daedric": 5,
"Spriggan": 5,
"Centaurian": 4,
"Impish": 3,
"Lockpicking": 3,
"Mercantile": 4,
"Pickpocket": 4,
"Stealth": 6,
"Swimming": 15,
"Climbing": 13,
"Backstabbing": 5,
"Dodging": 12,
"Running": 5,
"Destruction": 6,
"Restoration": 4,
"Illusion": 5,
"Alteration": 3,
"Thaumaturgy": 4,
"Mysticism": 6,
"ShortBlade": 20,
"LongBlade": 40,
"HandToHand": 12,
"Axe": 31,
"BluntWeapon": 28,
"Archery": 22,
"CriticalStrike": 6
},
"maxHealth": 43,
"currentHealth": 19,
"currentFatigue": 123,
"currentMagicka": 27,
},
},
"dungeonData": {
"actionDoors": [],
"actionObjects": [],
},
"enemyData": [],
}
As an added bonus, if you go north there is a huge mountain with a great view. Not sure if that mountain was intended but it was definitely cool to find.
Attachments
crimsondjinnCOMP.jpg
crimsondjinnCOMP.jpg (137.07 KiB) Viewed 5917 times

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

the hill is intended. more interesting is the different wall texture of the left building I think ;)
and where is the street lamp in the right image?

Kepling

Post by Kepling »

DosBox has a tendency to add more bugs to an all ready buggy game. Missing quest items, quest npcs, and even guild npcs are quite common for me trying to play DF in DosBox, so a missing lamp post is really no surprise. This could also explain why the wrong wall texture is being used, very may well be DosBox that's wrong and Unity is the right one. I may restore one of my old computers and get Dos 6.22 running on it so I have a properly running game to compare to, just have to hope that the old hard drives and 3.5" disks still all work.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

I don't believe there should be snow on those buildings. I can reproduce this with your save on a fresh open, so it's a new bug. Thank you for reporting. :)

However, the two images don't appear to be taken from the same location. They have different base textures (square windows vs. arched, different placement of sprites, and different ground tile pattern).

Would you happen to have the native Daggerfall save for the screenshot on the right as well? :)

Kepling

Post by Kepling »

I am almost certain they are the same town, I have been spending a lot of time exploring the landscape. I would be certain but for some reason I haven't been able to convert my saves into Unity yet. The screenshots show up for all 6 slots, but it just tells me that it can't load any of them. "Could not open classic save index #"

As for the snow any time I load up 0.1.1 it seems to start out in winter, and there's nothing in the console to change it like in the Mod Showcase 1(R gives you a random location, weather, ToD, and season). I will admit that I haven't put the same amount of time into DF like I have TES 3-5 so I had to go do some testing in DosBox to see how it should behave.

While in DosBox, I fast traveled around until winter hit, then I went back to the Crimson Djinn Inn. Even though it was winter the textures were normal, and the ground was sand like it should be. Then I went north into the swamp to find the line between climates, and when I got there it magically went from desert to snow. Then I went back south and it stayed snow into the village, and even stayed winter into the sea to the south. Even though the ground had snow on it the textures for the buildings were the same as when it was sand. I then saved and loaded that game, and the ground was sand again like it should be.

On a side note in DosBox, that missing lamp from the screenshot was properly placed after I fast traveled back.
Attachments
SAVE1.rar
(36.68 KiB) Downloaded 233 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks! I've grabbed the save and had a quick look into it. It's failing to open because the save version != 0x26. This means the save was created with a version of Daggerfall prior to .213 (supported version). Opening the save in a .213 version of Daggerfall and re-saving allows it to open in Daggerfall Unity OK. I'll make DFU display a more useful error message when encountering this condition.

You should probably grab the patched version of Daggerfall (I recommend DaggerfallSetup or GoG versions). The vanilla play experience is a bit less buggy with .213.

After being able to open the save, I can confirm they are both at map coordinates 472, 360 so definitely same town. This map cell is adjacent to another climate region as you noticed. The sampler is slightly out of alignment, resulting in sampling from the incorrect region/climate for this town. That's why the texture assignment is so far out of whack.

All great information, thank you! You've helped me find an improvement and isolate a bug all in one fell swoop. Great work! :)