Faction Support

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Faction Support

Post by Interkarma »

Just a quick post today. I have implemented the faction back-end for Daggerfall Unity, which is a key pillar of quests and NPC dialog. Here’s the data shown as a flat list in the Unity editor. All parent-child relationships are actually in place, list is just drawn flat for debugging.

Starting faction data is parsed from FACTION.TXT and your save games are supported too! Importing a classic save will now also import your standing with all factions.

While there isn’t much happening with factions yet in Daggerfall Unity, it’s impossible to implement many gameplay systems without them. I look forward to doing much more with this data in a future build.

Nystul

Re: Faction Support

Post by Nystul »

this is amazing!

LypyL

Post by LypyL »

This is awesome, between figuring out building names, NPC names & now this you've really been kicking ass :D It will be so great once we get functioning npcs & dialogue - that's coming a lot faster than I anticipated!

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I'm asking this seriously (albeit rhetorically): how do you do it?

I'm interested in seeing where development goes from here. If it's into quests first, or spells first, or anything else, I can't wait to see what's next.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks guys! :)

Fortunately factions weren't that hard. The source faction data is in an easily parsable text format and even the binary data in savevars.dat was known about thanks to people writing save game editors back in the day. I just had to code up a few classes to bring that data in.

The next big system we're going to build out is spells & effects, then quests in the last half of the year. My plan is for Daggerfall Unity to be roughly playable (and I mean very rough, a lot of stuff will still be broken/missing) by the end of this year.