Identifying Buildings And NPCs

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Identifying Buildings And NPCs

Post by Interkarma »

The latest devblog post breaks down how I implemented building and NPC info clicks for player.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/identifying-b ... -and-npcs/

LorrMaster42

Re: Identifying Buildings And NPCs

Post by LorrMaster42 »

Good read!

As for linking location data to other parts of the game, I'm curious how possible it will be to go in and change how a building gets generated, while still making it work with the quest system. I know that quest target locations are defined by quest markers, with a bunch of them for every dungeon, but will these be seen by the rest of the game? Same goes for dungeon entrances and such.

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Because the quest system is still being built, it's difficult to say how changing the buildings would interact right now. And anything I say might change in the future.

It's theoretically possible to change buildings though and still keep the legacy data links (like block index & record index). It just something future mod enablers and mod creators will need to work through. Right now I'm focused mainly on recreating the original game and getting that scaffold in place. :)

TheLacus

Post by TheLacus »

Great work! I love where this is going.

Biboran

Post by Biboran »

Very good to see that with every step game actually get gameplay! :D

jman0war

Post by jman0war »

Great progress InterKarma.
I really like the scrolling 'shop quality' text.
Find my Vibrant Terrain Flats mod at Nexusmods: https://www.nexusmods.com/daggerfalluni ... ?tab=files

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

YAAAY! New devpost! :)

I feel like once questing's implemented, DFU's gonna be at 0.9 instead of 0.5 because of everything it involves :lol:

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

unfortunately performance in towns is very bad now on my system - the fps I get now are less than half the fps than before the code changes made for identifying buildings
i am running around with 12-15fps in daggerfall city...

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

What you're probably experiencing is an exception ticking in the background which the log will have more information on. Send me a copy if you can and I'll work through it. :)

To be honest, I wouldn't expect things to work well right now. I'm about 50% through a major overhaul to city layout process and would be more surprised if it didn't have problems in the current state. That's why I haven't released any new builds lately.

There's nothing been added that would place additional load on rendering, etc. Just new metadata stored to link different systems together. Once the bugs have been sorted out, it should return to normal.

Nystul

Post by Nystul »

no exceptions here, but somehow with all mods enabled system load is higher than before. maybe too much action in one of the gameobject's update functions - will investigate more on this