Spells: Front-End Graphics

Discuss Daggerfall Workshop news articles.
Interkarma

Spells: Front-End Graphics

Post by Interkarma »

My first article in series about spell development in Daggerfall Unity shows the build-out of casting animation and missiles.

http://www.dfworkshop.net/spells-front-end-graphics/

FilthyCasual523

Re: Spells: Front-End Graphics

Post by FilthyCasual523 »

That's a really insightful look into the process. :) From the sounds of it, it sounds like it's going smoothly so far too. Correct me if I'm wrong!

Out of curiosity, because I'm yet to attempt a mage build in Daggerfall cos that spellcasting system scares me (lol), how many spells are there in Daggerfall?

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

All going smoothly so far, but this is still the easy end of the process. :)

There are about 100 "circinate" spells (default spells sold by the mages guild). The player can make any number of custom spells as well.

Spells aren't the most interesting part though, they're just carriers for one or more effects. These are the business end of Daggerfall's spells, potions, magic items, etc. An effect is an atomic operation usually carried out on an entity (e.g. enemy or the player). An example of an effect is "damage health" or "cure poison". You can see a full list of effects and circinate spells here.

I'm setting up a unified way to script effects in C#, as this is the most flexible and powerful way to script them in this project. I originally looked at using a special-purpose scripting language (like the quest system), but kept hitting limitations and creating work for myself. At the end of the day C# is most flexible and can work with the existing mod system already. There'll be more on adding custom effects later as magic system matures.

Daggerfall Unity will also use effects with other systems like diseases and advantages/disadvantages. Basically anything that can operate upon an entity by changing stats, altering incoming damage, causing damage, and so on will be considered an effect. Coupled with the mod system, it should make for some interesting possibilities down the road.

For now, I'm just focused on rebuilding core effects and setting up spell system.

FilthyCasual523

Sounds good man. :) I hope it continues to go smoothly for you!

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

Thanks! :)

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

And thanks for updating the roadmap! I know there's still a lot of work to be done, but it's nice to see all those tasks in green. :D Amazing progress thanks to Interkarma, Hazelnut, Allofich, and all the other regular contributors!

EpicSpellsword404

Post by EpicSpellsword404 »

Neat. Excited to see the next post.

RH666

Post by RH666 »

Mike wrote:And thanks for updating the roadmap! I know there's still a lot of work to be done, but it's nice to see all those tasks in green. :D Amazing progress thanks to Interkarma, Hazelnut, Allofich, and all the other regular contributors!
I'd like to echo this comment, it really is great watching the roadmap get filled in. Seeing what the passionate folks here are cooking up, both in restoring the game and improving it with mods is really heartening for someone who fell in love with this flawed diamond of a game at release.

FilthyCasual523

RH666 wrote:
Mike wrote:And thanks for updating the roadmap! I know there's still a lot of work to be done, but it's nice to see all those tasks in green. :D Amazing progress thanks to Interkarma, Hazelnut, Allofich, and all the other regular contributors!
I'd like to echo this comment, it really is great watching the roadmap get filled in. Seeing what the passionate folks here are cooking up, both in restoring the game and improving it with mods is really heartening for someone who fell in love with this flawed diamond of a game at release.
I must mirror all these sentiments!

paladin181

Post by paladin181 »

Ho wow. That's incredible!!!