Re Twitter

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Jay_H

Re: Re Twitter

Postby Jay_H » Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:10 pm

No, don't worry about me ;) I just wanted to know if there was a functional difference between the two.
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.
Interkarma

Postby Interkarma » Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:48 pm

No difference right now but I've been chewing over it in the back of my mind for a while. This is how the various "give item" / "get item" actions appear to operate behind the scenes.

• "give pc anItem" - Offers player a reward and sets quest success flag. Used at end of quest only. Automatically marks item as permanent, even if script does not (observed from classic scripts).
  • "give pc nothing" - As above but without an item. Used to set quest success flag without any physical reward.
  • "give pc anItem notify 1234" - Give an item to player with a popup message. Does not set success flag. Might only operate outdoors, in towns, and during daytime hours. Used to deliver letters like the one from Brisienna.
  • "give pc anItem silently" - As above but without the popup.
  • "get anItem" - Just sticks an item into player's inventory. Used anywhere, anytime.
  • "give anItem to aResource" - Assigns an item to a foe inventory for player to pickup. Examples are the mummy wrapping quest and magic item in giant-killing quest. Script author must set item permanent if player is intended to keep it.

I've built this based on observation from how these actions are used in context of the scripts, and at what stage they are using during execution. As always, understanding continues to develop slowly. :)
Jay_H

Postby Jay_H » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:15 pm

Excellent. I think that covers all the bases. If I think of something different in classic, I'll post again.
Come give your feedback on the ideas in my general thread, and share your DFU characters in the character thread.
Quest-writing tutorial here. Guide for new Daggerfall players here. Daggerfall Mechanics thread here.
Interkarma

Postby Interkarma » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:11 am

Jay, I've now implemented town and time limitations for "give pc anItem notify 1234" and "give pc anItem silently". These will now only fire when player is within a town, outside, and during daylight hours. I've also added a small random delay (currently between 4-60 seconds) before message arrives. This prevents multiple showing up at once the moment player enters a town during the day.

This means "give pc anItem silently" will now only trigger under above constraints, whereas "get anItem" runs immediately anywhere, anytime.

Return to “Community”