DFTFU porting to AGE

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
HeadClot

DFTFU porting to AGE

Post by HeadClot »

Hey everyone,
I am still fairly new to these forums.

I am really interested in how daggerfall was made and I want to make a game heavily inspired by daggerfall. Not just a Mod.
However I do not want to get in trouble by bethsoft for selling stuff that is not mine.
I also do not like the bloat that is currently in Unity3D.

Anyway - I would like to port DFTFU to atomic game engine and make my own content for it.
I know that daggerfall comes with allot of content but I want to make something unique to call my own.

Anyway I best cut to the chase and ask the question -

Can I port DFTFU to Atomic? Just asking for permission here before I do so. :)

Thanks for your time,

HeadClot

Interkarma

Re: DFTFU porting to AGE

Post by Interkarma »

It should go without saying that if you attempt to sell any content belonging to Bethesda that it will end in trouble. They seem OK with people using their Daggerfall assets for free fan-created projects, but I doubt they will tolerate it for a commercial project.

Personally, I would steer clear of anything to do with Daggerfall in a commercial project and just build from scratch. This would probably be easier than porting my Unity-specific and Daggerfall-specific code to another engine anyway.

From my side, all of the original code I've released to Git is under the MIT license, unless stated otherwise in the Licenses folder or in the code comments for individual snippets. You're completely free to re-use my code in your own projects, commercial or otherwise. Credit is not necessary, but a short "thankyou" somewhere is nice if you do use any of my original code. And if you're super-successful, make sure you send me a tshirt of your game. :)