The Outer Worlds

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Ommamar

Re: The Outer Worlds

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Im also happy to see modding picked up on the game, yet so far most of the mods are reshades and ini setups. But the mod allowing you to switch to highest difficulty and tweak it to your liking is a must have, it improved my gameplay a lot! I even had to back up from some quests, like killing the mega mantis quess in the cave. She is too strong. And thats good!

I invested a lot of money in to the Tinkering the weapons, and now my ranged are really good. The shotgun especially.

So I do enjoy the game, even with its all flaws. Its really good, and Im glad someone made a game like this. Because so far, it was always just a long wait for Bethesda to create a new Fallout of TES...

On the modding side of things: :twisted:
I tweaked the HUD to be very minimal and game is much better.

- No compass (You dont need the compass, when you have a pointer to the quest on the screen)
- Removed the ammo counters in bottom right (just remember vaguely how many shots u have, u dont have counter in RL as well..)
- Removed the companions portraits (just look at them in the game world)
- Removed the companion abilities in a bottom left corner (you dont have to see it all the time, and when the ability is recharged, it makes a sound)
- Removed the Inhaler hud, showing you the number of medkits and to press Q and 2x space all the time (what was that nonsense? Why clutter HUD with stuff like "press 2x space to dash" for the whole duration of game)

I dont use dmg texts, because I can see the dmg dealt on the health bar... etc
So now my screen is very clean, and I dont miss anything important to me.

And Ive finalized the ini tweaks, it runs and looks really good.
Added a optimalization to the volumetric lights, reducing it to 64 units. This gets you some free performance in some places.
Removed the postprocessing effects which look really bad, Chromatic, Motion Blur, Bloom, DOF (believe me, this makes the game look much better)
Toned down the sharpening filter by 15%
Skippable intros
Better mouse
Better HUD

Plus the highest difficulty config
bSaveAnywhere=true
bFastTravelAnywhere=true
bDisableCompanionDeath=true
iDifficulty=3

I use lumasharpen filter, its very light on the HW and makes the game more in focus.

So... if anyone want to play this finetuned version, your are welcomed, and forget the old posts with old configs. This is much much better.

Just place the ini files to the
C:\Users\*YOUR NAME*\AppData\Local\Indiana\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor

And the content form the "reshade and difficulty" folder to
C:\ .... The Outer Worlds\Indiana\Binaries\Win64

DOWNLOAD:
https://ufile.io/jtdp8l94

And this is how the cleaned, optimized game looks like. Day and night to me. Runs and looks and plays better ;)
01.jpg
01.jpg (1.13 MiB) Viewed 2079 times
Oh and the ingame settings (GTX970)
Screen effects - High (this is further tuned in ini)
View distance - Ultra
Shadows - High
Textures - High (this sets just the size of the buffer mostly, high is good for 3 - 3,5gb VRAM cards)
Visual effects - High

So basically, this is almost maxed, and very capable of 60fps all the time with semi decent CPU

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

As I do with practically every new game release these days, I'm waiting for this one to bake in the oven for another year or so with needed bugfix/QoL patches. But I'm gratified to see Obsidian is at least aware of and hopefully planning to address many of the major complaints I've seen here and elsewhere (improve/add inventory and trading screen filtering/comparison/weight capacity information, add autorun, add toggles for chromatic aberration and head bobbing, disable companion death for most difficulty modes, etc.). See the topic at https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/11194 ... ggestions/, and consider commenting there if you're actually playing (which these days for the first six months means beta-testing) the game and want to make it better for me when I start it up myself. :lol:

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

mikeprichard wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:08 pm As I do with practically every new game release these days, I'm waiting for this one to bake in the oven for another year or so with needed bugfix/QoL patches. But I'm gratified to see Obsidian is at least aware of and hopefully planning to address many of the major complaints I've seen here and elsewhere (improve/add inventory and trading screen filtering/comparison/weight capacity information, add autorun, add toggles for chromatic aberration and head bobbing, disable companion death for most difficulty modes, etc.). See the topic at https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/11194 ... ggestions/, and consider commenting there if you're actually playing (which these days for the first six months means beta-testing) the game and want to make it better for me when I start it up myself. :lol:
I completely agree with this and I usually do the same, but this was too hard to resist :)

I finished the game, its great. But it has its flaws, which I believe stem from the limited budget somehow. Its not a Fallout or TES, but with what they had, they did a nice job. Because Im a power player, I cracked the game quite easily, and it became quite easy. But for a avarage player, these problems will not arise. There are some QOL issues, which will be ironed out quite soon I can imagine. I hope this can become a game which will grow with more releases. The same way Witcher did (where I enjoyed only the 3rd part)

Anyway. 8/10 ;) I would give 9/10 after balance and QOL patches... Its not 10/10 in no way even after all the future patches, simply because its too small for this type of game to be considered perfect.

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

Thanks for the review, KOW. I have seen (and fully expected from reading prior interviews with Cain and Boyarsky) that the game world(s) is quite small compared to most AAA open-world(-ish) games these days, including the more recent Fallout and TES games. However, I'm still excited to crack into what seems to be some classic Obsidian role-playing/choice-and-consequence goodness. It seems like a small gameplay space, but very dense, in a good way.

On a slight tangent, it also makes me laugh/cringe how Bethesda "coincidentally" timed their ridiculous Fallout 1st announcement to attempt to drown out the positive Outer Worlds press. Hodd Toward et al. really do not like to be reminded that Fallout New Vegas (with The Outer Worlds in some ways being FNV's spiritual successor) is generally considered among the best Fallouts... I guess sour grapes grow well in Maryland.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I think Bethesda completely lost it... is it 100 usd you pay on top of what you already payed? To play a half assed bug ridden flawed game filled with microtransactions to top it all? Wow... They need to change the course they heading, and yesterday was late. Indeed New Vegas was the best fallout to me as well. Strangely Ive somehow enjoyed the F4 too, but I must say its generally a weak release all things considered.

And the fact Obsidian picked up the desacrated flag and created THIS - makes me happy ;) Game is completely worth the time and was a fresh air in the stagnant room of 1st person RPGs. Honestly, I dont know what to think about Beth anymore.. either they turn 180 degrees or they are close to dead to me.

Anyway, lets not dwell on the negative side. Give the Outer worlds a few months to mature and enjoy, it will be a great ride :twisted:

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

TOW does look/sound like a lot of fun - that's the plan!

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Oh, it is! It's made me laugh out loud many times. I'm taking my time with it and not binging it cause games like this are rare.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

mikeprichard

Post by mikeprichard »

I've been watching some playthrough videos of the early game stages, and I definitely click with the super-dry sense of humor as well. And I didn't mean to sound critical when I pointed out the obvious that TOW is apparently a fairly short title. Obsidian was struggling budget-wise until Microsoft picked them up, and while I can't believe I'm saying this, Microsoft buying someone out in this case may be a really great sign for the future. If there is a TOW 2 or similar, it will be great to see how it builds on this foundation with something closer to a "AAA" budget, as long as Microsoft can just throw money at Obsidian and let them do what they do best. Fingers crossed.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

D
Last edited by Ommamar on Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:05 am, edited 1 time in total.