Thoughts/opinions on Elder Scrolls game series in general

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Lokkrin Zhataros

Re: Thoughts/opinions on Elder Scrolls game series in general

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

Seferoth wrote: ↑Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:41 pm Daggerfall has THE BEST class creation system in the world(in my opinion). I liked Birthsigns, but they were always horribly unbalanced. The ones increasing Magicka were always the best, or the ones increasing endurance due to how HP growth works in TES games. Still, compared to Skyrim everything is great...god i hate that game.
Oh god... just thinking of the Standing Stones *CRINGE* :roll: :x

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I definitely enjoyed class making in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed tweaking my attributes in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed creating spells in Skyrim....oh wait, i definitely enjoyed using shortwords in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed underwater combat in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed wearing pants without shirt in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed durability system in Skyrim...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed casting spells while holding a twohander...oh wait, i definitely enjoyed using skills like Athletics/Acrobatics/Mysticism in Skyrim...oh wait. I could keep going for days.

Lokkrin Zhataros

Post by Lokkrin Zhataros »

LOL exactly my feelings! :twisted: Skyrim is stupid! :roll: But like a said earlier, for me the modding system and community has set it up to where I can turn the "Stupid-Skyrim" into an "open-world-high-fantasy-action-adventure-treasure/artifact-hunting-game" that I have rather enjoyed playing on occasion. It's not an "rpg" really at all and not a good "story based" game.

Now that I think about it, the Witcher 3 (a game I've really enjoyed) is pretty much another Skyrim just with a crap-ton more story/quest depth and options, better cinematic storytelling, better fantasy atmosphere and scenery (on par with Oblivion). But even then Witcher 3 is more restrictive than Skyrim. Less unique items in general to collect, no ability what-so-ever to be a sneaky-thief or mass-murderer and very limited character customization. You only get Garalt and customizing/enhancing his abilities is pretty much the same as Skyrim. With many various quest dialog options are the only way to alter Garalt's personality. You get good Garalt with good endings or bad Garalt with bad ending. It's a little more complex then that but not much. I liked Witcher 3 because of the Elder-Scrolls-like fantasy adventure, that's kinda it.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

There has been only one other game series that has rivaled TES with the feeling of freedom, and when it comes to atmosphere it is in it's own category. That series is S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Still, so far i have not found another fantasy series like TES that gives me the "i am actually living here" vibes. Actually those words "i could totally live here"(meaning i could actually virtual live there) which i uttered while playing Morrowind the first time were the ones that made me the TES fanatic i am today.

Ommamar

Post by Ommamar »

How does everyone feel about Elder Scrolls Online place in the series? Or do you even consider it as part of the series? I don't think it is a bad game but I think of it as having aspects of the Elder Scrolls but I would of done it way different then how Zenimax has done it. I do think it has widen the map of Tamriel out a lot as well as brought in an audience to the Elder Scrolls universe that other wise not might of been aware of it. There is enough solo able content to make it something that I will occasionally return to while ignoring all the other players as much as I can. I don't consider the character design and development bad just not what I envisioned. You can customize your look a ton in character creation and throughout the game through use of equipment and items.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ive tried TESO 3 times when it was free.

It had some charm to it. But at the end of the day, it was another generic MMORPG to me, hiding behing the facade of TES.

Also.. these MMO games where you can completely solo it and theres no reason to cooperate with other players seem to completely miss the point of their "multiplayer" aspect.

When you take it as a singleplayer game, you realize the gameplay sucks. Quests are shallow, repetitive, grindy.. GFX is ofc subpar to singleplayer games.

And yea.. I will never forget the moment Ive seen 100s of lvl 1 naked "chosen ones" running around πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

I played ESO for about 100 hours, while i can say it's a good MMO , it's not a very good TES game. The whole time i played ESO i kept thinking "i could just play Oblivion with mods".

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

I have a issue with a MMO games which are basically made to be played solo. There is no real reason to cooperate (maybe other than endgame) - so ppl just naturally solo it.

Ive tried SWTOR many times, and it always ended with me realizing - here I am again, running solo these generic quests, watching other ppl running solo doing the same quests around me. Same as in TESO.

If someone invents something better, I will be in, maybe :)

This is ofc just my observation and opinion, Im not contesting your opinion of TESO being a good MMO, it quite possibly is.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

King of Worms wrote: ↑Sun Dec 29, 2019 10:54 pm I have a issue with a MMO games which are basically made to be played solo. There is no real reason to cooperate (maybe other than endgame) - so ppl just naturally solo it.

Ive tried SWTOR many times, and it always ended with me realizing - here I am again, running solo these generic quests, watching other ppl running solo doing the same quests around me. Same as in TESO.

If someone invents something better, I will be in, maybe :)

This is ofc just my observation and opinion, Im not contesting your opinion of TESO being a good MMO, it quite possibly is.
ESO does a few TES things extremely well. Character building is one, you can again pretty much literally create any kind of character. Quests are really good by MMO standard, i did complete the Mage's Guild questline and it was really good and i have heard that the Dark Brotherhood is miles better than what it was in Skyrim(not really a hard thing to do). It is fully voice acted which is great and there are branching paths in side quests which does effect the outcome of the quests. The problem with the game is that it's boring as hell to play alone, but it's a TES game so playing with a group does not really feel very TES like to me either.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Just an fun observation that i did make from Daggerfall's default spells(the ones you buy from Mage's Guild). The spells you buy from the Mages are more than enough to deal with all threats or other problems at all levels. Compare this to a game like Oblivion where default spells quickly become too weak to be used effectively. Morrowind had the same problem too, but not as severe. I really like this in Daggerfall(especially since i am Julianos fanboy), as this allows me to play as magic user that is not part of the Mage's Guild.