Stalker: Lost Alpha Compilation

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
King of Worms

Stalker: Lost Alpha Compilation

Post by King of Worms »

Hi, I just want to let you guys know that after 12 years I can confidently say that the stand alone project STALKER: Lost Alpha project has matured to absolute jewel.

If you like atmosphere heavy, dark, immersive and original games which require you to use your brain, you must play this game.
Also, the game presentation is absolutely up to the 2020 standards in the terms of visuals and sound.

I can write long posts about how incredible this game is, but you should just believe me, and dive into it.

I can only add, that you should actually read what people are saying to you ingame and use your brain, rest will unfold nicely. If you get really stuck, there is a wiki which will explain everything to you. That will most likely happen when you will try to find Streloks PDA and keys :D

Here is the description how to make the game run the best way, it may look long and difficult, but its really easy, just follow the instructions in in 30 minutes your game is set up.

To get the best experience, do this:
Download 6 parts of Stalker: Lost Alpha 1.4007 DC

https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-1-of-6
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-2-of-6
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-3-of-6
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-4-of-6
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-5-of-6
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... -dc-6-of-6

Install the game, but DO A CLEAN INSTALL (UNCHECK ALL MODS WHEN INSTALLING)

Download the compilation pack:
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/d ... mpilation1

Install according to the instructions given at the DL page:

-Move LB’s comp gamedata folder into the root dir of where you installed LA DC 1.4007

-Move the folders from the bins archive to your LA DC 1.4007 root dir and overwrite. Make a backup of the whole bin folder if you wish. (check comments for updates to bin files)

-Move the configurator exe to the bins folder and overwrite. Make a backup of the original configurator if you wish

This will basicaly cover all you need.
Run the Configurator.exe and click the mods tab
There download:
Grass sprites on levels in high quality v1.61 (cementov)
Russian Voice Acting v1.00 (lost alpha official)
Updated Swamp v1.00 (lost alpha official)

One last mod you need is made by me
https://www.moddb.com/mods/lost-alpha/a ... ost-alpha1
Get it here, read the instalation notes there, its simple:
Installation of Clean HUD:
- download and unzip the file
- place the file in the folder you created inside your LA:DC installation, for example: "C:\Lost Alpha\gamedata\textures\ui" so the file ends up directly in the "ui" folder.
- in Options/Game you must set the interface to "new style"

Now you need to set up the graphics, run the configurator.exe
If you have gtx 970 and better (like me) I reccomend these settings:
Click presets, select Extreme, than:

GENERAL SETTINGS:

- Render DX11
- Frequency 60hz disable
- Rest of the options enable
- Resolution - use downsampling, I use the resolution 2560x1600 for my 16:10 1920x1200 monitor

Styling:
Bloom style - default
Helmet shading - enable
Motion blur - disable
Enviroment DOF - enable
DOF - enable
Sun flares - disable
Flashlight - enable
Helmet rain drops - enable
Helmet flares - enable
Build gloss style - disable

Optimalization:
keep the default presets

Advanced:
inverse kinematics - enable
MSAA - off
Water reflections - enable
Water range - max
MSAA for transparent objects - off
FXAA - disabled
Tesselation - optimal
AO QUality - medium
Ambient oclussion - HBAO (for nVidia, for AMD try SSAO/HDAO)
Soft water - enabled
Soft Particles - enabled
Tesselation - enable
Detailed surfaces - enabled
Steep paralax - enabled
Sun light quality - high
Sun rays - medium
Sun as a light source - enabled

Lighting distance - max
Shadows - High (2,5k)
Grass distance/density - keep default
Wet surfaces - enabled
Wet surfaces radius - max

GAME SETTINGS:

Difficulty - novice (game is hard, unless you are VERY skilled, play at this difficulty)
Language - english (this will enable english texts, but russian voice overs, way to go)
Camera FOV - 70
HUD FOV - 0,45

Once set up, click launch the game in the configurator. Once you have some saves, the next time just click Launch the game from last save..

PS: there might appear a msg telling you the config was reset, just ignore that, it works as is should and its all saved and set up properly.

Thats it, have fun for many many hours, enjoy the immersion, excellent gameplay and audio visual presentation. This is as good as it gets :)

PS: Dont install any additional mods, do not mess with the setting beyond what is written here. If you want even better graphics and you have the card to run that, increase the resolution or enable the MSAA/MSAA for transparent objects.

If you need any help, just ask here...
Spoiler!
1.jpg
1.jpg (976.02 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (1.1 MiB) Viewed 5807 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (742.68 KiB) Viewed 5807 times
Last edited by King of Worms on Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ralzar

Re: Stalker: Lost Alpha Compilation

Post by Ralzar »

I’ve played theough the Stalker games, but never used any mods. Which game is this for?

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Ralzar wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:17 pm I’ve played theough the Stalker games, but never used any mods. Which game is this for?
This is stand alone release. Think about it as THE STALKER 1
Its based on Shadow of chernobyl, but its fully realized... like if the GSC had all the time and money to really make the game they wanted to make.
Its crazy good.

ss_xerxes_08-06-20_09-43-26_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_foggy_14_00_to_default_la_dully_15_00_gt_14-18.jpg
ss_xerxes_08-06-20_09-43-26_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_foggy_14_00_to_default_la_dully_15_00_gt_14-18.jpg (640.25 KiB) Viewed 5789 times
ss_xerxes_08-06-20_09-39-51_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_cloudy_13_00_to_default_foggy_14_00_gt_13-53.jpg
ss_xerxes_08-06-20_09-39-51_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_cloudy_13_00_to_default_foggy_14_00_gt_13-53.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 5789 times
ss_xerxes_08-06-20_06-52-16_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_thunder_08_00_to_default_foggy_09_00_gt_08-44.jpg
ss_xerxes_08-06-20_06-52-16_(la04_darkdolina)_w_default_thunder_08_00_to_default_foggy_09_00_gt_08-44.jpg (905.5 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

Interkarma

Post by Interkarma »

STALKER SoC is one of my favourite games of all time. Will check this out, thanks. :)

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

Me too, can't recall if I've played LA before. Last one I did was Anomoly, but have more hours in the stalker games than any other game series ever.. and I'm sure I'll add to that tally in the future.
See my mod code for examples of how to change various aspects of DFU: https://github.com/ajrb/dfunity-mods

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Haha if you like Stalker, you just must play this guys. Im also a heavy stalker fan so I understand you ;)
Give it few moments, set up the game like I described and you will be pleased! Just give the game a chance, it needs few moments to catch up and grow on you, but I promise its worth it.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Did they ever fix the "empty map" problem? That was the biggest reason i stopped playing Lost Alpha, all maps were nearly empty. There was nothing to do in those enormous maps, very few quests, barely any loot and very few enemies.

King of Worms

Post by King of Worms »

Seferoth wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 pm Did they ever fix the "empty map" problem? That was the biggest reason i stopped playing Lost Alpha, all maps were nearly empty. There was nothing to do in those enormous maps, very few quests, barely any loot and very few enemies.
Yes. When you played it? 4 years ago? Game was developed ever since

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

King of Worms wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:42 am
Seferoth wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:18 pm Did they ever fix the "empty map" problem? That was the biggest reason i stopped playing Lost Alpha, all maps were nearly empty. There was nothing to do in those enormous maps, very few quests, barely any loot and very few enemies.
Yes. When you played it? 4 years ago? Game was developed ever since
I think the last time i tried it was when Lost Alpha DC was released, but that did not fix the empty map problem yet. Places were still empty and lacked everything really. Haven't touched it since.

Seferoth

Post by Seferoth »

Okay i succesfully installed everything, but i have a problem. My settings reset everytime i launch it?(and i am not talking about that message, they really do reset, everything from volume to controls). How to fix that?

Edit: Had to run the configurator as admin. That way it saved my settings.
Edit2: Second problem i installed the "Russian voices mod", but that just ruins a lot. I expected that the game now has English subtitles for russian storyline parts, but nope! So how i am supposed to know what is happening now? Uninstalling the Russian voice pack did not fix the issue. Every storyline part is still in russian.
Edit3: Had to delete bunch of files and folders to get english voice acting back.