Arena and Daggerfall Installers for Linux

Off topic discussion. Talk about gaming and life in general. Be awesome to each other.
Taemos

Re: Daggerfall Setup for Linux

Post by Taemos »

Latest version
-Desktop icon added (credit: blakegedye @ DeviantArt)
-Additional deletion option added
-Additional sanity checks
-Pirates of Tamriel mod install option added

Plans for the next update include a more modernized control scheme with the default install and maybe additional quest packages as I have time to add them.
Last edited by Taemos on Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

Just for fun, I decided to try installing Pirates without Daggerfall. It went as well as you can imagine, and it gave me this success message:

A minor matter :) However, the actual install was unsuccessful. It gave this error and failed:

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

It looks like you're running the script as root, which I wouldn't necessarily recommend. I'll put in a check to discourage that at a later time, as well as make a ".config" directory if it doesn't exist (which it normally does in non-root accounts).

The Pirates "bug" is known behavior, I guess I was just hoping no one would try to install it by itself for now. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your continued testing!

Edit: Both points above have been fixed. The script should exit if you run as root, and additionally if there is no "$HOME/.config" directory (though there should be...) it will create one and continue. Pirates will also quit the installation process if no Daggerfall directory can be found.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I've run it and the previous problems were resolved. Something went wrong with the installation at the end:

The desktop shortcut can't run:

Since I believe you removed the terminal shortcut to start Daggerfall, this is as far as I can go now.

Really, the quantity of Daggerfall mods you've enabled in a non-Wine environment is incredible. I'm sure that to you it's simple, but this really is a great thing.

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

Which version are you using? That should already be fixed. I think I may have caught it in-between uploads, so maybe you got one of those.

The filename and md5sum I'm getting for the script after download are as follows:
taemos@box:~$ md5sum Downloads/8af88-dagger_install.sh
5d7ecb6b487ffb9c454d788c1b4568b5 Downloads/8af88-dagger_install.sh

The version should also state "v0.45" as you're running it. Also, the "Daggerfall" command is still there, it's just that since the copy operation failed the script never got to the point where it would've told you about it. The shortcut doesn't work because of incorrect permissions (due to the script failing). But yeah, all of this should be fixed in the latest download.

Thanks for the feedback, it's quite helpful. :)

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

For some reason I had downloaded 062141-daggerfall instead of 8af88. Installation in 0.45 gave no error messages. However, attempting "Daggerfall" in the terminal prints,

Code: Select all

bash: Daggerfall: command not found
Trying the desktop shortcut (now with a proper icon) still gives the error, "There was an error launching the application."

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

If I had to guess, this is some Debian weirdness. Do this at a terminal as you (not root):

echo $PATH

Post the output back here. All I can say for now is that Debian always has these little quirks that I've never much cared for.. guessing a locked-down path may be one of those things.

If you just want to play for now, you should be able to launch with: "dosbox -conf /home/YourUserName/.config/Daggerfall/dagger.conf" -- You can launch that from the Terminal or replace your shortcut "Daggerfall" command with it. If that doesn't work then I may have to set a spare laptop with Debian just to figure all of these little things out.

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

echo $PATH gave the following immediately after installing Daggerfall:

Code: Select all

/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games
The substitutions you suggested worked, both for terminal and the desktop shortcut.

Taemos

Post by Taemos »

Yeah, Debian doesn't include a user "bin" directory in the user's path, so the shortcut can't be found unless using an absolute path. I'll just change the icon shortcut slightly in the next release.

I'm curious, Jay; is there a reason you're using Debian instead of something like Ubuntu or Linux Mint? It's certainly helping me to find edge cases in the script...

Jay_H

Post by Jay_H »

I really dislike Ubuntu (though I could always fit a VM with it). I'm trying to make a transition to Debian when I can since it's more secure than Mint, so this is just one of those little transition steps. Still, I could give it a shot on both of those if you want some more testing.